My brother

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stephen2.jpg

my very first attempt at portraits of a human I'd love to here critiscm/comments on the lighting and pose so I can improve on this for my next attempt. Thanks for looking!!

Lighting and pose look good. Looks like the lens "front focused" a bit. His hair is in focus but not the eyes. Next time try focusing on the eyes then recomposing. Overall good job for a first try. Keep it up and post some more of your work.

I think this is a very nice first attempt, with the tight, close crop and composition. No blown areas, it's a good exposure, though the flash may be a tiny bit bright, though not hot. I like it. But yes, there are focus issues here. Try a longer DOF if you're pretty sure you were in focus. I'm betting the next one will be perfect. :)

danny said:
Lighting and pose look good. Looks like the lens "front focused" a bit. His hair is in focus but not the eyes. Next time try focusing on the eyes then recomposing. Overall good job for a first try. Keep it up and post some more of your work.

Thanks!! I see what you mean about the eyes, I've just learnt how to change the focus points on my camera so should have a bit more control next time round :) also have invested in a tripod so hopefully that'll help. This shoot I was trying to stand balancing on a bed and take the pics hand held :lmao: now a photo of me trying to get the shot would have been amusing :greenpbl: Thanks again, I will have another try asap and hopefully you'll see improvements *fingers crossed*

terri said:
I think this is a very nice first attempt, with the tight, close crop and composition. No blown areas, it's a good exposure, though the flash may be a tiny bit bright, though not hot. I like it. But yes, there are focus issues here. Try a longer DOF if you're pretty sure you were in focus. I'm betting the next one will be perfect. :)
I shot this with on camera flash so maybe that explains why the lighting is bright? I know people say don't use on camera flash but I haven't got a flashgun or other lighting (yet) any you would suggest for Canon camera? I will try for improvement doubt it'll be perfect but thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate all your tips I will put them to work in my re-shoot. Thank you very much!!

If you don't have a flash, the best thing to do would be to get a white posterboard and try to reflect some natural light from a window. Just move it around until the light looks about right on the subject and don't use the flash at all. Setting the focus points will solve the problem for you. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back