My camera does too much, best camera for my needs ?

Ray Sloan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. About a year ago I had to buy a new camera to document my work, I make musical instruments and need a good visual record. I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 1000. This camera confuses me more than anything because of the incredible number of things you can do with the inredible number of settings, it is all just too much !

I am now considering selling it and getting another camera more suited to my needs. However, what should I buy this time........ ? To be honest I just need a camera that gives me good quality images. The features more important to me than anything else are the following:

Aperture Priority
Exposure Compensation
Bracketing
Macro Facility
ISO adjustment
Zoom

Bearing this in mind, can anyone make any recommendations ? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Your list pretty much describes every camera on the market. To me, it appears you should stick to your current camera and learn to use it as all cameras will have confusing menus right out of the box.

To be honest I just need a camera that gives me good quality images.

To be honest too, you will have to invest some brain energy for that.
Should you opt for a FULL AUTO everything, you may not end with
the pictures you want but those the gear have decided.

I make musical instrument as well and, whatever family of instruments
you tackle, there is always some new trades and twists to adapt too.

There is a passion behind both lutherie and photography. All worth it.

Hi. About a year ago I had to buy a new camera to document my work, I make musical instruments and need a good visual record. I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 1000. This camera confuses me more than anything because of the incredible number of things you can do with the inredible number of settings, it is all just too much !

I am now considering selling it and getting another camera more suited to my needs. However, what should I buy this time........ ? To be honest I just need a camera that gives me good quality images. The features more important to me than anything else are the following:

Aperture Priority
Exposure Compensation
Bracketing
Macro Facility
ISO adjustment
Zoom

Bearing this in mind, can anyone make any recommendations ? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks very much.

In my opinion you can have a better cameras for your work that this one mainly because of small sensor size of this (4/3 aka 13.2 x 8.8 mm) which certainly doesn't help when shooting under the indoor/poor lighting ..

I would recommend for you something like used Nikon D610 (full frame) which can be bought below $500 and it will incredibly improve the quality of indoor shots .. as for lenses I think that you can buy cheap nikon 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8 primes ++ whatever comes with that as a kit zooms lens .. shooting indoor from tripod is probably must have too

Is that 'Digital' ? I only ever shoot outside.

Is that 'Digital' ? I only ever shoot outside.
yes, it's digital 24MP full frame camera ... good on this camera is that it would open for you the door to the Nikon F-mount which is undoubtly the most widespread mount in the world ... full frame Vs your small 4/3 sensor will give you significant edge in the image quality .. and if you're not shooting indoors now, with FF you will be able to shoot if you wish ...

I agree with Sparky. You don't have to use the other functions, just because they are there. Mine does a lot of things that I don't touch, like video.

If the images you get from your current camera fit your needs, then stick with it.

I agree with Sparky. You don't have to use the other functions, just because they are there. Mine does a lot of things that I don't touch, like video.

If the images you get from your current camera fit your needs, then stick with it.
The problem I have with these ridiculous functions is that inadvertently I can hit a button wrongly and the viewfinder is completely alien.... I then have to spend 30 mins trawling through the bloody manual to find out how to get back to a normal viewfinder !

Aperture Priority
Exposure Compensation
Bracketing
Macro Facility
ISO adjustment
Zoom

Thanks very much.
No law says you have to understand, let alone use, every feature. Better to have a camera you can grow into than one you may soon outgrow.

The problem I have with these ridiculous functions is that inadvertently I can hit a button wrongly and the viewfinder is completely alien.... I then have to spend 30 mins trawling through the bloody manual to find out how to get back to a normal viewfinder !

I'd say every camera suffers from that.

I'd say every camera suffers from that.
Well, judging from replies so far it sounds like every camera on the market is suffering from the same gadget overload !?

Pretty much. If you really want to get another one, I'd suggest trying to borrow or rent one for a little while and see how it does. In the end, you have to be comfortable with it, and be happy with the images.

Pretty much. If you really want to get another one, I'd suggest trying to borrow or rent one for a little while and see how it does. In the end, you have to be comfortable with it, and be happy with the images.
It is soundung like I'm going to have to deal with what I have, the quality of the pictures I get is ok, dealing with all of the features I am offered is just a pain and misleading !

Once you learn how to correct an inadvertent change, you'll know how to handle it the next time it happens. Soon, it will become second nature and you'll do a reset and be back up and running.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back