My Crappy Town on a Crappy Day

A nice set, lots of character - does the town have a "up-market" side as well, or is it all like this?
I would like to see a contrasting set, showing the other side of town, using the same excellent BW processing.

I am amazed the local authorities felt the need to chain the solid concrete bench to the tree - that for me was the most telling detail.

Thanks.

There is a walmart and some fast food joints but no, there really isn't an upside.

last one.

Economy is so bad the thrift store had to lower prices and have a sale...

thrift by runnah555, on Flickr

I was too quick to get a joke off to mention that I really liked the first and last images.

...i like the storefront shots the best.Kind of takes you back to a simpler time,when i'm sure the town was a little more connected.Walmarts have never brought the community together like a F W Woolworths had.

Can't be that bad. Joe's selling redemption along with other stuff.

Shouldn't be joking. Lots of little towns all over the place, with the main industry petering out, whether it was forestry, or mining, or small manufacturing. Those who can and/or who don't have very strong roots move on. Those who can't, try to keep on living, but it gets more difficult. Slow stagnation. Life isn't fair. I've got some younger relatives in a small town like that, and bored teenagers and young men don't equal a good story. There's a lot of heartache in that part of the family, but the roots are deep and the pain of moving away is foreboding.

BTW, located the building housing Joe's place on Google street view. It's the SE corner of Mill and Main, next to the bridge, right?

Can't be that bad. Joe's selling redemption along with other stuff.

Shouldn't be joking. Lots of little towns all over the place, with the main industry petering out, whether it was forestry, or mining, or small manufacturing. Those who can and/or who don't have very strong roots move on. Those who can't, try to keep on living, but it gets more difficult. Slow stagnation. Life isn't fair. I've got some younger relatives in a small town like that, and bored teenagers and young men don't equal a good story. There's a lot of heartache in that part of the family, but the roots are deep and the pain of moving away is foreboding.

BTW, located the building housing Joe's place on Google street view. It's the SE corner of Mill and Main, next to the bridge, right?

I could fill a library with photos like this. There are hundreds of towns in Maine that look like this.

That's the place! Mill st. Guess what used to be there.

yeah, the mill that no longer is. :( And with that mill, went decent jobs, and a support industry that kept the machines working...

From a photographic point of view, you need to fill that library. The thirties had their dust-bowl, and we're living through the hollowing-out. Not pretty, but important to document.

yeah, the mill that no longer is. :( And with that mill, went decent jobs, and a support industry that kept the machines working...

From a photographic point of view, you need to fill that library. The thirties had their dust-bowl, and we're living through the hollowing-out. Not pretty, but important to document.

I've thought of it. Maine used to have a huge industrial economy, but now we seem to think we can support an entire state on tourist dollars.

Well tourist dollars are service dollars, and "service" never pays as well (in general) as do production jobs. The other aspect is that service work normally has a much smaller footprint of support needs compared to production work, where there is a need for machinists, electricians, carpenters, book-keepers, stock-keepers, etc. Service jobs are counter, waiter, front desk, tour guide, driver. Just not the same.

Well tourist dollars are service dollars, and "service" never pays as well (in general) as do production jobs. The other aspect is that service work normally has a much smaller footprint of support needs compared to production work, where there is a need for machinists, electricians, carpenters, book-keepers, stock-keepers, etc. Service jobs are counter, waiter, front desk, tour guide, driver. Just not the same.

That is the case. Many here feel that the state should not be touched and stay this imaginary wilderness wonderland. The other half is very aged and are afraid of changing the status quo.

Everyone agrees there is a problem but neither side wants to give an inch. So we are stuck in a limbo where we have to grow to survive but no one wants to change.

Maine's biggest export are our educated young people.

Were you packing heat on your photo walk?

Nice set & like the black/white conversion. My favorite is the DeskRiver because of the composition of the tree reflections, rocks and of course an odd desk in the middle of a river.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back