My D7100 review.. first impressions.

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up my D7100 yesterday and thought i'd share my first thoughts on it.

First lets get the 'elephant in the room' out of the way...
The buffer is EXACTLY what Nikon says. Seting the camera to RAW 14bit uncompressed and holding down the shutter i was getting 7 images before the buffer needed to be flushed. Once the buffer is full it seems to depend on your memory card speed as to how fast it flushes or takes the next shot. I was using my el-cheapo Transcend 32GB SDHC (class 10) cards and it seemed to drop to 1 fps after the buffer was full. I'll try my faster sandisk cards today but i really don't expect to see much improvement.

That being said... I was still impressed. It wasn't any worse then my D7000 but at the same time its moving around more data (24mp vs 16mp). I only need short burst at a time anyway.. and the buffer seems to clear very quickly. So for me its no better or worse then the D7000 was.

Next... the body...
Having spent the past two years with a D7000 in my hand every friday & saturday... holding the D7100 is VERY diffrent. The D7100 grip is slightly wider and seems a little deeper. I didn't think the D7000 was uncomfortable to hold but for the quick time i had to play with the D7100 it felt nice in the hand. The thumb-rest on the back is different just enough to be noticeable but IMHO nicer then the D7000. The rubber used on the grip is a little softer and a different texture.

What i didn't like when i first picked it up where the buttons on the back.. The main command dial feels a little cheap compared to the D7000 (however, its almost identical to whats on the D600). Its a small thing... but i'm also not fond of how the left side buttons are labeled. I liked how the WB/QUAL/ISO print is directly above the button on the D7000.. on the D7100 the are above and to the side. Its strange thing... but i had to do a double take a few times to make sure i was pressing the right button (i know those buttons by heart... but the labeling kept throwing me off).

The other problem i had coming from the D7000 was the freeking 'Movie record button' thats now on the top of the camera. Every time i'd go to format my SD cards (hold down the metering and delete buttons) i would press the movie record and delete button!!!! Im sure i'll get used to it... but i did it about 5 times in a row.

What i REALLY liked was the placement of the AE/AF button.. I turn this button to work as my 'back button focusing' button (AE-ON). The button is moved far enough to the right that my finger is no longer in my eye like it was on the D7000.

One big change on the body is the front sub command dial.. It seems to be pushed back a bit and there is a larger 'lip' on the front grip that makes accidently turning the sub-command dial almost impossible. If you are used to the D7000 it will take you a while to get used to. IMHO, its not a bad thing... its just different enough to bring up.

I like the idea of the mode dial lock... but we'll see how long i go before breaking the dial. I tried to change from A/S/M a few times before i remembered i have to push the button down.

The LCD is nice and big... it was about 10pm when i got around to playing with the camera so i couldn't take it out in sunlight. We'll see if its easier to see outside like they say.

The Viewfinder is updated with the HUGE 51 focus points. The EL display used for exposure is bright white (not green) and IMHO very cool.

Image Quality...
I took about 5 pictures of my kid and 10 of my dog... I really didn't get much time to dive deeper into the images then to say "Hey.. those look nice".

I'll take some real test shots today and post the results later.

So.. there you go.. Day 1 with the D7100 (or.. my first 15 minutes with it)..

Ask away if you have any questions..

Thanks for taking the time to post your first impressions of the camera. Will you keep your D7000 as backup or sell it? I'm sure plenty of the newer folks that bought a bottom shelf starter camera would be interested in an upgrade to a well cared for D7000.

Thanks for taking the time to post your first impressions of the camera. Will you keep your D7000 as backup or sell it? I'm sure plenty of the newer folks that bought a bottom shelf starter camera would be interested in an upgrade to a well cared for D7000.

I sold my D7000.. I was lucky enough to get $900 for it and a 50mm 1.8d.. So it cost me $300 to upgrade my two year old camera... Most used D7000's are going for $700.. you'd have to REALLY want some of the new features (or just want a new toy) to pay the $500 to upgrade. I think when most of the 'big name' reviewers come out with their D7100 review they'll recommend D7000 owners to think hard before upgrading.

Thanks for what is among the few D7100 "reviews" that wasn't cribbed from a Nikon press release. Looking forward to more.

Nice first impressions of the D7100! I didn't feel the need to get rid of my D7000 so I upgraded my glass instead and picked up a 70-200 2.8 VRII. I always knew I would go FF in time so I just started to invest in some nice glass before I make the leap. Please post some more reviews on the D7100 when you get a chance.

That extra crop mode sounds really nice. But I couldn't justify getting a 7100 just for that, as far as my needs go.

I'm a D600 owner and I got to handle the D7100 at Cameta Camera today... I LOVE the autofocus points and the white color of the info in the viewfinder. Other than that, it felt exactly like my D600. Really nice camera.

Most reactions

Back