My dear friends...

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need your help and advice once again! I will be an official photographer on the classical music concert on Saturday night! the music was written by Penderecki - well know Polish composer, and he will also conduct the concert! The whole city knows about this event... and the ticket price is very high... that's why I'm very happy that I will be there and I will take pictures officially. Also I may shoot backstage and before the concert. I know that the light would be very good - the cocert is in the harbour - because of the anniversary of strikes there in 70's and 80's (a few people died there). and the person who directs the light is a pro - he did it for most concerts around Poland. So... i need any advice which you can provide... if you have an experience in such photography PM me or write tips'n'tricks below :) thank you in advance

Cheers!
P.S
I need even tiny advice such as what to wear... should I wear something... smart? or no? People there will be in official suits and what about me?

I need even tiny advice such as what to wear... should I wear something... smart? or no? People there will be in official suits and what about me?
Always present yourself as professional as you can. Dress to impress. This sounds like a great oppertunity for you:thumbup:

Wear whatever is suitable for the job. Chances are that there won't be too much of a dress code and you'll be scampering round in dirty corners a lot, so I'd personally say leave the little black dress at home. (After you've posed for a shot in it for me!)

From my experience of gigs and concerts, wear comfortable shoes - you're going to do a lot of standing and walking. Take a rucksack for your kit and hold your camera for opportunities. If you have a reporter style waistcoat or jacket, these make people think "pro" and are handy for all your bits - batteries, films or whatever.

Take business cards or fliers with your information on. Random people will probably ask for them as they are getting married, want a portrait, whatever.

Don't be afraid to get yourself right in there in the action. Get the shot by bring brave.

Make friends with the crew. Roadies and riggers make good subjects anyway, but they may be able to advise you on the best places to stand or shoot. They also sometimes have the ability to get you into AAA areas in which you wouldn't normally be allowed.

Don't stand at the front of the crowd if there are any controversial or heavy music acts on - you'll get covered in wee wee.

Erm.. anyone else?

Rob

I remember Solidarnosc and Walesa. Went on a protest march to show support and gave to the fighting fund.

If you are going to be there as official photographer then you will be mixing with the biggies - so I'm afraid you are going to have to be in formal evening wear. That means a posh frock.
I would approach the people who have given you the job to find out for certain but I think you'll find they expect it.
So a change of shoes - comfy flats and your girly shoes.
Check the place out a day before when they have everything set up. As the official you will get access. Find out where everyone is going to be and check for vantage points and easy access routes. Take your kit and find best lens, pov and such. You will need to know what the running order is and the approximate timings so you can plan ahead and be ready for entrances and such.
It will let you know if you have times when nothing much is happening so you can move to another spot. You have to make decisions about staying in one spot or moving between several. Don't move around too much as there is a good chance you may miss something. Better to pick out two or three good spots and stick to them.
Take several cameras and spare batteries. Lots of film if you are using that. Spare batteries and memory cards for digital.
My advice would be to take both.
You shouldn't need a tripod if there are things like railings to lean on.
Take some test shots on digital before hand so you can get a feel for how it will come out on the night and you can use that as a guide.
Find out if they need you to be there at the start to photograph people arriving. If there are any particular dignitaries they need you to take. In short pin them down as tightly as you can to exactly what they want.
You should take pictures backstage afterwards, too.
Make sure you have an official pass as there will be tight security I should imagine.
You should be able to talk them into a meal. Worth a try.
You should certainly be able to get some money up front from them for film and storage media and batteries.
The main essential is to find out all you can and then plan ahead as much as you can so you are not making it all up on the night.
Good luck, Alex.

OMG guys! you are making me feel stressed with every tiny second!!!!!

Yes, relax. You are the photographer and so are in charge.
I'm just telling you to get there early to check out the layout so you don't turn up on the night and not know where things are.

Yes!!!! Sounds like a great gig!

Hertz and the gang basically covered it. I would pay particularly close attention to colour balance. Also check out balcony shots. Above looking down would be great for a couple of shots.

Definitely dress fancy. Consider all black, so you blend into the shadows a little better.

Congratulatons on a great opportunity!

If it were me I would be spending as much time as I could in that location before the event learning every stairway, vantage point, back door, service hallway and goat path until I knew the location itself very well. At that point find out who will be where and when and start formulating a plan to get the most out of the event.

Above all, have fun! :)

Mentos, since I am on the other side of the camera many times at concerts (performing in an orchestra) I can tell you that a big no-no is flash photography. They don't even allow it here at the Phoenix Symphony or any other Symphony Orchestra for that matter. I don't know if you were planning on using flash or not but I felt I needed to give you heads-up on this.

I have seen many photographers hired to take shots of the conductor and musicians and no one used flash, unless we had a 'formal' sitting for our brochure photo. They all used fast tele lenses perked on a monopod, just like at most sporting events.

And do relax, enjoy your picture taking at this super event. As far as dress code goes, all the photographers I've seen backstage were wearing all black clothing, not necessarily fancy but elegant.

Penderecki conducting??? I am officially jealous!!!:lmao:

yeah.. I'll drive there early in the morning...so we will be able to take some photos before the concert - when the musicians are "training" :p so I'll be able to spot the best places..... I'll be shooting film probalby... coz as you know (damn) I don't own a dslr so I'll be shooting with film slr... but I'll take my digi cam... it works fine and I know it perfectly :p

and what's the best... they hired 4 amateur photogs and 3 or 4 pros... they said that last year amateurs took better pics, even with compact digi cams than pro.. why? because they added somthing unique to the pictures.. while pros concentrated on composing shots and finally all their pictures were boring :p ehehehe

A light weight monopod would be helpful IF you aren't already carrying too much gear. And, Hertz, fantastic advice about getting there the day before and taking test shots. Probably the single most important advice one photographer could give another. That should take mountains of pressure off.

Mitica is right about the flash - I should have mentioned it.
Quite apart from the performers not liking it, when you have a large venue it is pretty ineffectual in terms of illumination and it kills the atmosphere too.

Crotograph - my experiences talking there. When I have taught at Colleges near Theatres I have always tried to negotiate getting my students in to do publicity shots. I used to get them in for the rehearsals so that they could do a 'dry run'. Going in cold on the night means you are thinking more about where you want to be and how to get there rather than on taking the pictures.
The key to success in ventures like this is forethought and planning.
That advice goes for any big event including sports.
I've worked as the stills on a few films and I found that going on the location reccies with the lighting cameraman and director was essential (the lighting cameraman speaks the same photographic language so you often find you can help each other).

yeah I know about flash... thanks :) and about the light... only the orchestra will "use" 1 MWatts of light... enough for me?? :p:p:p:p

Most reactions

Back