My dog Bailey

Richard Hutchings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot this morning. I felt the light was perfect and I didn't do much pp.

BaileyWC.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I like your signature!

Pretty Bailey!!!! Goldens are such beautiful creatures, our Son has one. Couldn't help but get a little creative with your photo, hope you don't mind. Your right about the light being great, only problem I saw was that it played some tricks on you blowing the highlights. This was one of those that would probably have worked better with exposing for the highlight and raising the shadows post. Still a great shot or a regal girl, with a few dramatic upgrades. I was guessing on WB trying to remember the color, so not sure if it's quite right yet.
BaileyWC-3.jpg

That's fantastic! I need to learn these techniques. I'm going to see if I can accomplish this in Rawtherapy. If not I may have to bite the bullet and get LR.

That's fantastic! I need to learn these techniques. I'm going to see if I can accomplish this in Rawtherapee. If not I may have to bite the bullet and get LR.

I haven't used Rawtherapee but I'm assuming you cabin raise shadows. Just remember in this kind of shot it's better to save as raw, expose for the highlights and raise the shadows post. Or the other option is an in camera composite if your camera supports it. One shot for the highlights, one for the shadow.

Last edited:
I managed this. Mostly used a little L*A*B* Adjustments, Chromacity and a little top crop.

Bailey2.jpg

beautiful ..so soft and love the natural sun light..gives the beautiful glow

Thank you Photo Lady.

Smoke: That green is a natural reflection of the grass on his chin. I would leave that. I bookmarked that link and am now following Paul's blog. Thanks.

Thank you Photo Lady.

Smoke: That green is a natural reflection of the grass on his chin. I would leave that. I bookmarked that link and am now following Paul's blog. Thanks.

The camera records all reflected light, without adjustment. The eye might see the reflected color but will make unconscious adjustments. The brain says the dog is brown not green, so we see a brown dog. That's why it's important to understand how WB affects a digital image. Understanding White Balance If your intent as the photographer was to record the green reflection from the grass, then you accomplished your goal, but it's still important to understand how things work, and how to correct it when it's not your intent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back