What's new

my first abandoned house

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 1, 2009
Messages
637
Reaction score
27
Location
cornelius, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ive always wanted to shoot in an abandoned house, i finally found one and it was an awesome experience, heres what i got
 
ive always wanted to shoot in an abandoned house, i finally found one and it was an awesome experience, heres what i got

$DSC_0092.webp$DSC_0093.webp$DSC_0094.webp$DSC_0095.webp$DSC_0096.webp$DSC_0097.webp$DSC_0098.webp$DSC_0099.webp
 
3 and 6 are best imo. #1 has someone's shoulder in the way.

there was this abandoned church near where I live that somehow got turned into a satanic ritual site, too bad they bull-dozed the place before I got pictures.
 

Attachments

  • $DSC_0106.webp
    $DSC_0106.webp
    685.8 KB · Views: 104
3 and 6 are best imo. #1 has someone's shoulder in the way.

there was this abandoned church near where I live that somehow got turned into a satanic ritual site, too bad they bull-dozed the place before I got pictures.

More than likely it was bored teenagers rather than actual Satanists. It would have been cool to get pics of though. There is an abandoned church very close to my home but it is locked up tight.

Too bad about this place, looks like it was a fine home in it's day. The shotgun damage is pretty cool but my favorite is the blurry chair in the doorway. (pic 4 of set 2) It looks like something out of a horror movie.
 
thanks, im kind of upset that chair int he doorway came out blurry but i had to hurry, as soon as we left a cop car was driving fast downt he street, one more set to go
 
thanks, im kind of upset that chair int he doorway came out blurry but i had to hurry, as soon as we left a cop car was driving fast downt he street, one more set to go

It's funny, I was just commenting in another thread about how sometimes our mistakes can make the best photos. The sideways shots are making me dizzy. I like the one shot through the exposed studs in the last set, I can't be sure from this angle but I think there is potential for some interesting framing (no pun intended) with that one. Something to think about if you revisit the site.
 
Meh, it was not what I was expecting. When I read "abandoned house" my mind automatically goes into "paranormal activity" or some sort or at least dark and creepy images. What I see here are more of the "before" shots on those "Flip This House" episodes. Not really the best composition to me. But that is just 1 person's opinion and expectations. YMMV.
 
Meh, it was not what I was expecting. When I read "abandoned house" my mind automatically goes into "paranormal activity" or some sort or at least dark and creepy images. What I see here are more of the "before" shots on those "Flip This House" episodes. Not really the best composition to me. But that is just 1 person's opinion and expectations. YMMV.

Yeah, those ghost hunter type shows crack me up. They through actors into a dark building, film them with IR and thermal cameras and tell them to "spook" at random events. With that model you could make a Denny's after hours seem haunted. Of coarse where I live what goes shuffling around in Denny's DURING hours is scary enough. :lol:
 
Since you now have access to this house I would suggest you go back there and take some images from more unique and out of the ordinary perspectives. All of these images are very "pedestrian" and "documentary" in nature. Change your viewpoint, high or low and work with lighting. Look for the unusual rather than the usual as you have done here. Look for objects of the house with texture and shoot them. Peeling paint on a window sill, reflections in a dirty and broken pane of glass, etc.

Also, work with black and white too. Black and white is a thousand times more powerful and expressive a medium than color!

Some shots I took of a favorite old abandoned house several years ago with my Nikon F2 and Kodak Plus X film

window.jpg


Windowsill_BW_500.jpg


Old houses can also make killer backdrops for unusual portraiture. This is the same old abandoned house, shot with a 16mm Fisheye Nikkor, also on Plus X film and a Nikon F2

ashleyoldhouse.jpg
 
Last edited:
Since you now have access to this house I would suggest you go back there and take some images from more unique and out of the ordinary perspectives. All of these images are very "pedestrian". Change your viewpoint, high or low and work with lighting. Look for the unusual rather than the usual as you have done here. Look for objects of the house with texture and shoot them. Peeling paint on a window sill, reflections in a dirty and, broken pane of glass, etc.

Also, work with black and white too. Black and white is a thousand times more powerful and expressive a medium than color!


What about shooting with less light? After the sun goes down? Would that not add something to these images?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom