What's new

My first attempt at band photography... Comments and criticism needed!

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 2, 2007
Messages
480
Reaction score
1
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so here are a few shots from my first attempt at band photography. I was shooting Ilford Delta 400 pushed to 1600 with my Pentax ME-F and 50mm f/1.7. I developed this in Ilfotec HC at 21' at around 13.5 mins, with very little agitation. The negs are quite thin, but the CanoScan is doing a pretty decent job, IMO. I went at them with a quite healthy noise reduction in photoshop due to noise from a high backlight correction.

I have quite a few more usable shots on this roll, another roll of black and white, and two rolls of Provia 400x pushed to 1600 that I need to get developed, but I thought I'd get the first impressions.

The band is called Firebrand Super Rock, and they're just friends of a friend. Pretty good Iron Maiden-ish metal/rock band with a very talented female lead singer. I was going for a noir kind of look to match the music. Keep in mind I missed focus a few times because I had to keep at f/1.7 the entire time. It's tough to hit with those guys moving around!

Let me know what you think and how I can improve!

1.

1510552098_253d40989c_b.jpg


2.

1510552092_91660ae1b5_b.jpg


3.

1510552122_c18783ee01_b.jpg


4.

1510552148_ff07403a08_b.jpg


5.

1510552172_c364262662_b.jpg


6.

1510734230_3cc1017385_b.jpg


7.

1510734200_5a2ce2a8b3_b.jpg


8.

1510734246_bf5ed2fd52_b.jpg
 
Are they that bad?
 
well they're not particularly good being honest....I don't understand why the negs were so thin at ISO 1600 and a 1.7 lens.... there's really just too little detail for my liking. Despite this I think #1 and #5 are the best, good action.
 
shots aren't bad but they are very dark, i can't tell what I'm looking at in most
 
Too dark for my liking. Also, not crisp enough at all. Everything seems to blur into one another.

Add sharpness and longer shutter speed. I understand you probably had to set this on 1/60 or faster for handheld shots but get a beanbag or something.

Worst comes to worst, increase your aperture.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom