My first attempt at HDR...(C&C please)

The softness that you see is a byproduct of Photomatix processing. Part of it relates to the fact that tone-compressed images almost always need some contrast correction (S-curve). Also, HDR photos generally benefit from a more than average amount of sharpening. See some of myskin's photos in the HDR forum for reference.

Excellent suggestion.

Is it essential to do contrast correction (S-curve) within Photomatix itself *before* it generates the image, or can I tweak this later in Aperture/Lightroom? I'm assuming that it's possible that after Photomatix has generated a softer image it's tough to get that sharpness back? Just wondering since I'm totally new to Photomatix. Thanks.

Wow! These really impressed me. Although I'm still new to the whole HDR concept (but kind of get it due to being able to play around with it a tiny bit on my iphone), I feel like I can spot good composition wen I see it. I really like your eye and style, and I liked how the colors came out via your HDR attempts. I was just getting ready to post my very first C&C photos, but now I'm humbled by your work and may have to retreat again! :)

The softness that you see is a byproduct of Photomatix processing. Part of it relates to the fact that tone-compressed images almost always need some contrast correction (S-curve). Also, HDR photos generally benefit from a more than average amount of sharpening. See some of myskin's photos in the HDR forum for reference.

Excellent suggestion.

Is it essential to do contrast correction (S-curve) within Photomatix itself *before* it generates the image, or can I tweak this later in Aperture/Lightroom? I'm assuming that it's possible that after Photomatix has generated a softer image it's tough to get that sharpness back? Just wondering since I'm totally new to Photomatix. Thanks.

You can do the contrast correction more accurately with your post-processing software. It's not hard, though it takes some practice. Personally, I use Photomatix to just generate the basic HDR image and that's it. I do all of the other corrections in Photoshop, though other software packages would be just as fine.

I was just getting ready to post my very first C&C photos, but now I'm humbled by your work and may have to retreat again! :)
No retreat...never surrender! :D
Seriously, I'm a noob and one waltz into the non-beginner galleries and I shrivel up like a scared turtle. It's all good. Cheers and thanks for your kinds words.

You can do the contrast correction more accurately with your post-processing software. It's not hard, though it takes some practice. Personally, I use Photomatix to just generate the basic HDR image and that's it. I do all of the other corrections in Photoshop, though other software packages would be just as fine.
Perfect, I wasn't sure if it needed to be in Photomatix or something. Thanks for the tip as this will help me. Cheers.

I don't think you blasted #2 at all....I like the looks of it

now THIS is blasted!!!!!....lol, sorry, had to do it.

5444632892_4fc0c98268_z.jpg
[/url]
blasted rock by rockstarrphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

Holy s%^&!
Ewwwwww....that makes me want to throw up in my mouth...LOL.

Most reactions

Back