My First Attempt at HDR

MCPorche

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a pic I took with my T2i and the kit lens. 5 exposures (-4, -2, 0, +2, and +4). C&C Please. :)

pond.jpg

As HDR images go, the processing is pretty nice. You've avoided making everything look like it came out of an irradiated comic book reasonably well, and there's very little haloing, relatively.

Windy day? Everthing looks kinda blurry, especially the tree limb in the middle top of the picture.

A little breezy...but, mainly it's just from me trying to hold the camera steady by hand.

cletusjermal said:
Where is that. I live in bossier too.

A little dead end street up off of Shed Road, near Stockwell.

It's almost--nevermind, it is impossible to hold the camera still enough to take multiple exposures. Try it again with a tripod and I think you'll have it. You might wait for a day with a little more interesting sky, just to give it a little more interest.

:thumbup:

Daytime HDR isnt all that cool. I mean, i like that you are learning it and all, but its the night time stuff that really benefits from it. IMO

It depends. There's a couple instances that stand out to me. If you're in an area that has lots of large areas of shadow (like a forest with trees casting shadows, or an old city with a bunch of foot bridges going over walkways), or when the sky is super bright and your subject is not. You can use HDR to get proper exposure of all of the important areas.

Take the bright sky/dark subject for example; you can expose for the sky, or you can expose for the subject. But, either way, one is going to be properly exposed and the other is not. You can take several exposures and use HDR software to create an image that has both the sky and the subject properly exposed.

Keep in mind, HDR wasn't originally designed for those overly contrasty, surreal images that have come to represent it in most peoples mind. It was meant to show the true dynamic range that the eye can see, since cameras can't capture that range in one exposure (in most cases, anyway).

Daytime HDR isnt all that cool. I mean, i like that you are learning it and all, but its the night time stuff that really benefits from it. IMO

I wouldn't go as specific as that. Someone was posting some HDR's done in bright sunlight, a week or two ago that worked out really well because it brought out the detail in both shadows and highlights. HDR works best when the dynamic range of the scene is greater than the dynamic range your sensor can fully pick up. This scene appears to have a fairly low dynamic range. In addition, I could have called this an HDR without knowing, simply because of the haloing around the trees.

A couple tips for next time.

-Use a tripod, or atleast set the camera down if you don't have a tripod...then go buy a tripod. ;)
-Find a more contrasty scene. HDR is a tool, and it has a fairly specific purpose. This scene doesn't appear to need this tool applied to it.

Windy day? Everthing looks kinda blurry, especially the tree limb in the middle top of the picture.

A little breezy...but, mainly it's just from me trying to hold the camera steady by hand.

cletusjermal said:
Where is that. I live in bossier too.

A little dead end street up off of Shed Road, near Stockwell.

Well ****. I live on stockwell.

Check out this website. It list where you can find a bunch of different stuff to shoot.

http://www.shreveportla.gov/pictures/photoalbum/album/index.asp

Last edited:
It was just my opinion. I mean ive seen some great daytime HDR but night time is where its at for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back