My first attempt at Panning?

SHWELL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the Rolex 24 this past weekend at Daytona...... I tried to get as close as I could so I could get some good shts.... My equipment is lacking so far, but I want to workj on the basic skills b4 buying hi end rigs/lenses...

Nikon D60
Sigma Zoom 1:4.5~5.6 80-200mm (set at 5.6)

The lense is an older one and everything had to be done manually... Which I am not good with yet. But here are a few shots of the Prototypes:

Rolex09044.jpg

Rolex09055.jpg

Rolex09168.jpg

Rolex09335.jpg

Rolex09337.jpg

Any and all feedback is appreciated... I know I could have gotten better shots with a better lense, but you gotta work with what you got.

I would say, if you were working with a manual lens then you deserve kudos for those photos. No, they are not as sharp as some folks might like them to be, but for having to adjust focus on your own you certainly deserve props.

I'm not a fan of "stock" race shots though, so on the whole, not my kind of bag. I will say, you got to work on that exposure control. You will notice, in more than a few of those, the white has gone completely out of some of those cars. Now, it may well be that they are "pure" white lacking in any detail, but I don't believe they are. For shots like these, I would try and get my exposure down beforehand, so that and expose a bit to the left of the "luminosity" graph; easier to "brighten" than it is to "darken".

I really like the pics, a bit over exposed, but props to you for using a manual lens. Fantastic shots.

Thanx for the feedback.. The eposure was a hastle to say the least.... This was a 24 hour race so I was out there snapping away and not paying attention to the changing light conditions. These shot were taken between 6:30 and 7:30 am on the east coast, so the light was changing by the second.

And using manual was a bit of a task for me, so I think I was preoccupied with that more than the exp settings. I am going to sebring in March, so I will have to try and improve on it there as well... But I will have another lens by then.... Thanx again for the feedback, it is reatly appreciated.

Most reactions

Back