What's new

My first attempts at photographing lightning - critique what you see please

Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
74
Reaction score
29
Location
Buckhannon, WV
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$lightning1small.webp$lightning2small.webp$lightning3small.webp$lightning4small.webp$lightning5small.webp$lightning6small.webp
Im using a Nikon D5200
Those were all shot with an 18-55 @18mm - +/- f/6.3 1/2 sec at ISO 200
 
well done!
 
I like the second one the best, top right. Really nice.
 
Top right is really good, but bottom right is my favorite. You did great on these.

Phil
 
I would kill to have a lightning storm like this. O.O

Lovely photos! Second one is my favourite. :3
 
Awesome. I love the 3rd one (first blue one with the sprawling arches coming in from the left). :thumbup:

I've been trying to do this on/off for months and the best I've gotten is someone flicking a flashlight in the distance.
 
Wow. I never expected such a warm response.
This was the first electrical storm like that I've seen here in decades. I got lucky with the timing.
My concerns are more technical such as how to anchor a camera in heavy winds...how to waterproof a non-waterproof camera, and what basic settings to use.

Everything I was reading told me to use 1/8th second and f/7 for the shots...for me that wasn't working and I ended up going to 1/2 second, ISO 200 and +/- f6.3.
I suppose everything has variables including the distance to the lightning.
But here is to hoping that I get some more storms in the area like that one very soon!

Edit:

I'd love to get ahold of an 11 or 12mm lens, but my wallet won't allow it at the moment. A wider lens would have made a few of those much much better in being able to see the start of the bolts.
 
My concerns are more technical such as how to anchor a camera in heavy winds...how to waterproof a non-waterproof camera, and what basic settings to use.

Seems like you're doing o.k. with the settings you have already chosen.

Get a very sturdy tripod. If you're not carrying it far, heavy will hold your camera better than light and cheap. Consider the weight of camera and heaviest lens combined and at least double it or triple it to get the minimum weight rating of a tripod. You can probably find some used tripods that are very sturdy, especially since people are wanting to shed the weight from their kit.

To shield your camera from moisture, a gallon-size food bag is cheap and might work, but look at the sleeves sold by Flash Zebra.
 
I have a light hiking tripod, and if it's windy I hang my camera bag from a hook underneath - a little hack if you don't want to buy a tank of a tripod.

And I use a garbage bag and elastic bands for waterproofing. Thanks to imagemaker for that one.

And I have no good lightning shots. We've had some doozies of storms this summer, but only during the day. I don't have a good enough ND filter for daytime lightning shots. Besides, my foreground is boring old suburbia. You got some fantastic images here!
 
I have a light hiking tripod, and if it's windy I hang my camera bag from a hook underneath - a little hack if you don't want to buy a tank of a tripod.

And I use a garbage bag and elastic bands for waterproofing. Thanks to imagemaker for that one.

And I have no good lightning shots. We've had some doozies of storms this summer, but only during the day. I don't have a good enough ND filter for daytime lightning shots. Besides, my foreground is boring old suburbia. You got some fantastic images here!

If you hang your bag, it has to be damped from swinging somehow or it becomes part of the problem.


Urban shots can work, this was done by someone in our city: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ddoi-archive/8780040244/, https://www.flickr.com/photos/ddoi-archive/8779820384/, https://www.flickr.com/photos/ddoi-archive/8774818050/

Having a good vantage point helps.
 
True, I suppose I haven't been out in seriously stiff wind. Hanging the bag has worked pretty good for me so far.

And urban is cool. Rural or forest or mountains is cool.

Suburbs with their identical rows of houses, black shingles and street lights are pretty difficult to make cool. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom