My first bash at gig photography

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We headed back to Seoul from the North east of South Korea today, a 4.5 hour drive. We went out for dinner and then went out to a jazz bar where a Dutch trio were playing fairly hard-core jazz. It was interesting just to watch them interacting with each other. I decided to bring the D800 with me with my 24 - 70 and AFS 50 1.8G and my AFD 85 1.8. In the end as it was quite an intimate club in the Hongae area of the city, so I used exclusively the 50 f/1.8G. My front view was partially blocked and I didn't want to be a nuisance to the others. All except the first were shot in full manual exposure. All were converted using Silver efex pro 2

Nikon D800 AF-S 50 1.8G f/3.5 1/160 ISO 800

Dutch-saxonphonist by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/3.5 1/100 ISO 800

Dutch-jazz-drummer by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/5 1/100 ISO 800

A-Dutch-jazz-guitarist-in-Seoul by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/5.6 1/80 ISO 800

Dutch-jazz-trio-in-Seoul by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/2.8 1/125 ISO 400

A-Dutch-jazz-band-in-Seoul by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Having the others in the foreground adds to the intimacy of the club and adds interest to the photographs. Good work.

I like #1 and #3 the most. The out of focus foreground elements, the people that is, add to the feeling of being right there, and looking past the other patrons, to the musicians. Fairly enjoyable way to do this, helped by the interesting stage background and overhead lights showing.

Some more from Tokyo - involved with a concert with Tokyo based Japan Symphony Orchestra who were playing film scores:

Nikon D800 Nikkor 24 - 70

f/3.2 70mm 1/320 ISO 1600

Japan-Symphony-orchestra-conductor-4 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

b;ack and white converted in Silver efex:

Japan-Symphony-orchestra-conductor-4-BW by singingsnapper, on Flickr

f/3.2 70mm 1/160 ISO 1600

Japan-Symphony-orchestra-conductor-5 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

again converted

Japan-Symphony-orchestra-conductor-5-bw by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Another from the gig the other night

Nikon D800 AFD 85 f/1.8 1/320 f/1.8 ISO 1600 SIlver efex

bob by singingsnapper, on Flickr

i think the last one with the music notes is the best one in the set well my favorite i should say

In your original post

The last two are great, I really really wish there was not some dudes head taking up so much space because that would make them fantastic.

Some really good stuff here tho.

Most reactions

Back