My first camera purchase - my list of items

Dee2258

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my very first DSLR and after doing some "research" I stumbled across this forum. I think I finally decided on the right camera for me (and one that I can grow with). I want to make sure I have thought of all of the things I will need initially and if the lens fits the camera (I think it does.)

Main purchase for the camera is to :

• Take wildlife photos (I live near the city parks)
  • My pets (4 cats and a horse)
  • Traveling (going on a Scottish pub crawl in Sep this year)
  • And I'm thinking of taking a photography class

A friend of mine made a few suggestions on items to purchase (and I have a ton of gift cards to help with my purchase):

• Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens
  • Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR (might wait later but want to make sure this lens will work with the D7000)
  • High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) For The Nikon D5100 D5000 D7000 D700 D3100 D3000 D90 SLR Cameras Which Have Any Of These (18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm, 105mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 85mm) Nikon Lenses
  • Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC
  • 52MM Center Pinch Lens Cap w/ Cap Keeper for NIKON (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G) ED AF-S DX Nikkor
  • USA Gear Lightweight Durable Large Camera Bag With Padded Interior Lining for Nikon digital SLR Cameras
  • Mastering the Nikon D7000

All suggestions are welcome.

• Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens
  • Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR (might wait later but want to make sure this lens will work with the D7000)
  • High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) For The Nikon D5100 D5000 D7000 D700 D3100 D3000 D90 SLR Cameras Which Have Any Of These (18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm, 105mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 85mm) Nikon Lenses
  • Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC
  • 52MM Center Pinch Lens Cap w/ Cap Keeper for NIKON (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G) ED AF-S DX Nikkor
  • USA Gear Lightweight Durable Large Camera Bag With Padded Interior Lining for Nikon digital SLR Cameras
  • Mastering the Nikon D7000

• D7000: awesome choice.. You can find some good deals on it right now. The new one (D7200?) gets announced soon. If you can, you may want to wait and see what it offers.
  • It will work... but the 55-200 VR is also a cheaper option. IMHO the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR is a better choice then the 55-300mm (A refurb 70-300VR is the same price)
  • I wouldn't waste your money on filters UNLESS YOU KNEED THEM. If they are required for your photo class then buy them THEN. But starting out its a waste of money IMHO.
  • For the LESS then the price as the Eye-Fi 8gb card you could get TWO 32gb class 10 SDHC cards. I've used the Eye-Fi and its a gimmick... The speed is slow to transer (over wifi), the software is horrible and it drains your D7000's battery faster.
  • All lenses come with a lens cap. Not sure why you'd need this.
  • If you stick with photography you'll end up with a closet of bags.. I would stay away from anything that says "Made for the Nikon D7000/D5200" but bags are like shoes... everybody has a different style.
  • If you want THE book about every feature of your D7000 then Thom Hogens is the best! (Complete Guide to the Nikon D7000) . If you want a great book about digital photography look at the 'Digital Photography' books by Scott Kelby. I've brushed through "Mastering the Nikon D7000" and it was ok... I thought "D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots" was a little better due to the examples ("if you want a picture like that... do this").

Don't get over loaded in the details... All you need is the D7000 and a lens... everything else will come as you learn and play. HAVE FUN!

Main purchase for the camera is to :
[...]

• Traveling (going on a Scottish pub crawl in Sep this year)

A DSLR will drag on the ground when crawling..... As somebody who has crawled many-o-pubs (before giving up drinking)... I know first hand!

DSLR's are a PITA to travel with. After years of taking a DSLR with me on vacations i noticed i wasn't enjoying the trips as much due to worrying about the correct gear and hauling heavy bags around. A few years ago i gave up the DSLR when traveling and now just take a small/inexpensive (but good quality) point and shoot when i travel. I don't have to worry about loosing it.. It fits in my pocket.. and i can actually enjoy the trip :)

I will probably ditch the wifi card - sounded cool (I'm a computer geek by nature...bad habit) and the "lens cap", I only really need the "cap keeper" so I don't lose the one on my camera.

Great suggestions for the books - was going backed on Amazon feedback so the suggestions are great.

Good point about the travel. I traveled to Israel/Jordan this last Nov and a Canadian fellow almost lost his camera and camcorder on the trip. Left it at Masada but lucky for him Israel has some "serious" security cameras and they were able to find who took the camera and send him the camera. However one woman took her DSLR with her and seemed to not complain at all about it - her pictures were amazing when she shared them with me. But I would never forget the fear the Canadian guy had when he couldn't find the camera.

Thanks for all the awesome tips...can't wait to get the camera.

I was hoping to keep my budget at $850 since that is how many gift cards I have collected for Amazon (via awards from work or bank points system) but I can possible go more. I just don't think I can spend 2K even with the gift cards. But I can go over a couple hundred the $850 budget.

Aagghh, looking up some of your advice on Amazon and seems the "body only" camera is back ordered for 2 months. I think I might have to wait on the second lens because I would rather have a nice one. but I should be ok with the kit lens that comes with the camera? Should be able to hold me over until I can save up for the better lens:

Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Have to say the forum CMS is kind of nice!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back