My first Great Crested Grebe

Silverpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all, excuse the long post that goes with this photo, but I'm very pleased that I managed to get this shot as the very few previous opportunities I've ever had have never really worked.

I went out with a friend today with an aim of finding some new locations to shoot. I forget what area we were in but we stumbled on a nature reserve type place (which was actually more like a small lake with a kids play area set to one side). On the map at the entrance it said there were Grebes in the lake so we wondered around in the hope of just spotting some. We did eventually spot a pair right out in the middle of the lake so we happily sat watching for a while when eventually it became clear they were coming a bit closer. I quickly laid on the floor and fired some shots off, wondering why my camera wouldn't track them - only to realise once they had dived down under the water that I still had my focus set to single focus and not continuous focus from the last time I used it! I had a quick look at the shots, saw they were all out of focus and cursed myself for several minutes and waited for the birds to resurface but they didn't so we walked on further up the path. We now had small trees between us and the view of the lake but I spotted one diving down just the other side of the trees/bushes, not more than 5 feet away!

I sat watching that same spot waiting to see if I'd get lucky and he would pop up in the same place when suddenly out the corner of my eye I saw he had popped up right next to me, in amongst the trees etc! I frantically tried focus on him as he swam for the open water again and this was the only shot that came out, I got him in the only opening in amongst the branches that gave a clear enough view:

_RP02338.jpg

I had to crop to portrait as there are OOF branches all over the shop in the landscape original. Its not a world class shot but I am very pleased to have seen one so close for the first time and managed to get some kind of shot from it!!

D2x with 200-400 VR handheld at 400mm, 1/250 second at F6.3

EDIT: Now someone will post a decent photo of one and say they have no trouble getting near what is usually a very shy bird lol

You are rightly proud of that wonderful shot (and your quick reflexes).

Good shot :thumbsup: you nailed the focus

Most reactions

Back