My first Kodak Brownie shots

bhop

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When i'm developing a roll of film, I usually skim through a magazine or book. I've always been careful to keep an eye on my stopwatch so I don't screw up, but would ya know it, I screwed up this roll. I think I overdeveloped them.. darn it.. but I was able to salvage most. I also could've had too fast of a speed in the camera, i'm not really sure. I'm testing a different speed to see what kind of a difference it makes, but that roll's still in there. Anyway, here are a few from my first ever roll with the Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash (I don't have the flash).

These are all Ilford HP5+ developed with Clayton F76 developer.

1.Self Portrait (underexposed, boosted in PS)

2.Another Indoor shot.. I need to use this camera with better lighting.

3.An apartment building near my neighborhood

4.I think this lady turned around when I got near.. I think it might've been a coincidence though.

I like the looks of those pictures taken with older box cameras. I think the last one is the best of the series.

To get more accurate exposures, this link might be useful; it lists shutter speeds and apertures for different Brownies. Also, what size film did you use? I believe the Hawkeye uses 620 film. Did you have to re-spool 120 film on a 620 spool or did you use a 120 spool?

The Hawkeye can use a regular 120 roll on the top ( feed side ), and a 620 spool on the bottom ( take up side ).
I've even converted Brownie 2 series cameras to 120 with great success. I also have made masks to provide round, ellipse, and 6cm X 11cm photos.
They are cheap and fun to experiment with.

Like greyhoundman said, I used a 120 spool on top, 620 on the bottom. A 120 spool won't work on the bottom at all. Even if you trim it down, the little hole doesn't grip the notch that makes it advance good enough. (I tested)

greyhoundman, thanks for that flash link, i'll have to check that out

Most reactions

Back