A
astrostu
Guest
I built my first lightbox this week out of PVC pipe, a bed sheet, and posterboard and fabric backdrops (I bought my first hacksaw!!). I'm reasonably pleased with the results and I know I'm going to have fun exploring this completely different type of photography, but I would appreciate knowing what y'all think of my first few attempts.
Below are seven photographs that I took. I've also posted on a critique thread 5 shots of the same thing, taken slightly different ways (see http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=784663 ) for which I'd like advice (I'm pretty sure that was legal since the rules say that different versions of a photo can be posted for comparsion sake).
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated (assuming they're constructive
).
1. A clear glass knicknack from my maternal grandfather that was very difficult to get the irridescent part to light up. It was also very difficult to not get it to reflect the lights through the bedsheet and took some cloning. It's against an unruffled blue fabric.
2. My high school diploma along with tassle against ruffled blue fabric.
3. An origami mushroom. I found PhotoShop's "Find Highlights" option in the Levels to be ideal to bring out the shadows here, and though the stem is slightly darker than the cap, it is exaggerated in this image (which I really like). This was against poster board with the reflective side up.
4. One version of a set of Sierpinski origami fractals that I designed and folded. The largest (a 3-depth) has 256 pieces of paper for the pyramids and 126 connectors; it is about 9.25" (23 cm) tall. The smallest (0-depth) is about the height of a US half dollar (1.25" or 3 cm). This was taken against a white cloth that needs to be ironed, but I don't have an iron nor ironing board.
5. A second version of the same thing where I blew out the levels to make the background white. I think I like #4 better.
6. Since this technique is generally used for product photography, I thought I should do a product, so these are brass salt and pepper shakers that my mom's sister gave me for a holiday or birthday a few years ago. I thought they looked good against the blue fabric.
7. Finally, again since this is mainly for product photography, I thought I should do a commercial product, so I took my dish soap, cleaned off the bottle, and photographed it on the posterboard.
Below are seven photographs that I took. I've also posted on a critique thread 5 shots of the same thing, taken slightly different ways (see http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=784663 ) for which I'd like advice (I'm pretty sure that was legal since the rules say that different versions of a photo can be posted for comparsion sake).
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated (assuming they're constructive
1. A clear glass knicknack from my maternal grandfather that was very difficult to get the irridescent part to light up. It was also very difficult to not get it to reflect the lights through the bedsheet and took some cloning. It's against an unruffled blue fabric.
2. My high school diploma along with tassle against ruffled blue fabric.
3. An origami mushroom. I found PhotoShop's "Find Highlights" option in the Levels to be ideal to bring out the shadows here, and though the stem is slightly darker than the cap, it is exaggerated in this image (which I really like). This was against poster board with the reflective side up.
4. One version of a set of Sierpinski origami fractals that I designed and folded. The largest (a 3-depth) has 256 pieces of paper for the pyramids and 126 connectors; it is about 9.25" (23 cm) tall. The smallest (0-depth) is about the height of a US half dollar (1.25" or 3 cm). This was taken against a white cloth that needs to be ironed, but I don't have an iron nor ironing board.
5. A second version of the same thing where I blew out the levels to make the background white. I think I like #4 better.
6. Since this technique is generally used for product photography, I thought I should do a product, so these are brass salt and pepper shakers that my mom's sister gave me for a holiday or birthday a few years ago. I thought they looked good against the blue fabric.
7. Finally, again since this is mainly for product photography, I thought I should do a commercial product, so I took my dish soap, cleaned off the bottle, and photographed it on the posterboard.