My first lighting kit question??

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

As suggested on this forum my next acquisition is going to be an umbrella/stand. Cool. Well I was preparing an order on mpex's site with the lp605 stand, one 43" westcott umbrella and an adaptor... until I noticed that I can get literally double this order if I go with an Interfit kit from b&h, that being to umbrellas, two stands two adaptors AND carrying bag for the SAME price.

I was quite certain I wanted the specific items from mpex but geeesh, the price difference is quite substantial.
thoughts??

Last edited:
You get what you pay for will be the likely response, which I do agree with.

I went and bought no name everything, flash, strobes, soft boxes and triggers. What I have has a year warranty and I love them, I have yet to have a problem with them. I paid $250. That being said I could be an anomaly...

Does the kit from B&H come with any sort of warranty?

It doesn't really say on the website page but I would imagine it would have some coverage... here is the kit i was looking at

Interfit STR120 Twin Umbrella Kit STR120 B&H Photo Video

Unfortunately I have no choice but to be budget oriented too. I went with the cheap radio triggers to go with an sb600 and yn460(which I'm waiting to arrive). I don't want to regret buying whatever I choose but the kit is just so much better deal.

If it were me I would get the B&H kit but I'm a gambler...

yeah, tempting. I do wish the umbrellas were 43 instead of 33 though... too many options!

I went and bought no name everything, flash, strobes, soft boxes and triggers.

I went this same route for my first lighting kit. I bought everything separate (except for a couple items), and for around $100, I got:

3 umbrellas (2 translucent, 1 reflective)
2 stands
Tilt bracket
Triggers

I bought most from Cowboy Studio on eBay & Amazon. Their prices are great.

I think what you are looking at is b&h's "house brand". From what I understand, it is a quality product. There are some big name photographers that have spoken highly of b&h's "house brand" stuff. But there shows and podcasts are also sponsored by b&h so who knows?

I went this same route for my first lighting kit. I bought everything separate (except for a couple items), and for around $100, I got:

2 stands
Tilt bracket
Triggers

so what stuff did you get specifically?

I'd go with the Interfit kit and the two 33 inch umbrellas; 33 inch models actually work quite well with speedlights. If you want larger umbrellas, you can buy larger ones, quite cheaply.

I'd go with the Interfit kit and the two 33 inch umbrellas; 33 inch models actually work quite well with speedlights. If you want larger umbrellas, you can buy larger ones, quite cheaply.

im interested in both these: Interfit STR120 Twin Umbrella Kit STR120 B&H Photo Video Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit DFUMK B&H Photo Video I can actually get the second one used for about 75.00 (reg. 98.00) How does the silver lining attach to the interfit umbrellas? I guess its versatility is a plus.

not sure about that exact brand, but it should just have a black exterior piece that goes over the umbrella and is held on with little metal things that slip over the ends of the rods of the umbrella. If its a shoot through/ bounce umbrella

It's a good idea to put weight on the lightstand legs to make them more stable, or if you're outside and there is some wind. These work - Walmart.com: Gold's Gym 10-lb. Pair Adjustable Ankle Weights: Exercise & Fitness

Thats a good idea!..i've been using barbell weights that I slip over the stand, but I like this idea.

2 stands
Tilt bracket
Triggers

so what stuff did you get specifically?

Here's the links from what I bought:

Amazon.com: Cowboystudio UNPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver with Umbrella Holder for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Cowboy Studio Top Quality Aluminum Adjustable Light Stand with Case-2 Stands and Cases: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Cowboystudio off Camera flash Swivel Flash Bracket Umbrella Holder Studio Tilting Bracket for Nikon Canon E430 E580 SB600 SB800 SB900: Camera & Photo

and I can't find a link for the umbrellas but I remember they were $16 for a translucent & reflective 33'' umbrellas. I then bought an extra translucent umbrella for $6 shipped off eBay from a Hong Kong seller (they're so cheap if you get them from overseas).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back