my first macro insect C&C please

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_3109.jpg

i found this little guy in our house earlier!

f32, shutter speed 2 (2 seconds I'm assuming based on what my opera EXIF reader says), ISO 3200. Shutter speed compensation set to -1

Personally I'd strongly suggest not going over f16 with regard to aperture. Once you start getting smaller than around f8 (on most lenses it will vary a little between models) diffraction starts to soften the image. Normally you retain good image quality up to around f13/f16 on crop sensor (the effect is partly affected by sensor/film size) and thereafter you lose more and more sharpness to the shot.
Further the really small aperture has not only had your ISO pushed up very high, but also your shutter speed come out very slow indeed - 2 seconds is really not going to give you a clear shot unless you are on a rock steady tripod. Plus underexposing by around one stop means that you've again pushed your shutter slower, but also meant that your high ISO noise is going to show up all the more - if anything a slight overexposure (without actually fully over exposing any point) on the meter reading helps with ISO (look up "expose to the right" as well as usage of the histogram).

PS those fangs are MASSIVE!

thanks for that advise that's excellent. i thought the white bits were eyes, are they fangs? wow....... where's his eyes then? *fires up Google*

I think the white parts are fangs (fairly sure) the eyes you can see two of the eight fairly clearly. Look up from the white lumps and you can see two vertical "arms" (I assume part of those forward feelers/fangs) and then above that two tiny black dots - the eyes.

f32, shutter speed 2 (2 seconds I'm assuming based on what my opera EXIF reader says), ISO 3200. Shutter speed compensation set to -1

Personally I'd strongly suggest not going over f16 with regard to aperture. Once you start getting smaller than around f8 (on most lenses it will vary a little between models) diffraction starts to soften the image. Normally you retain good image quality up to around f13/f16 on crop sensor (the effect is partly affected by sensor/film size) and thereafter you lose more and more sharpness to the shot.
Further the really small aperture has not only had your ISO pushed up very high, but also your shutter speed come out very slow indeed - 2 seconds is really not going to give you a clear shot unless you are on a rock steady tripod. Plus underexposing by around one stop means that you've again pushed your shutter slower, but also meant that your high ISO noise is going to show up all the more - if anything a slight overexposure (without actually fully over exposing any point) on the meter reading helps with ISO (look up "expose to the right" as well as usage of the histogram).

PS those fangs are MASSIVE!

Ahh nevermind, I see what you meant.

Last edited:
I'd also recommend other camera settings. But also a more interesting compo for next shots. Good luck :thumbup: (O yeah, a spider ain't an insect)

A couple of quick things - First - cool spider. Second - the eyes are inside the circle on your image which I modified below. I will delete it if you want. It's hard to tell how many sets of eyes this spider has because of the underexposure but most have more than one. Third - the white parts are not fangs - at least I don't think from what I can tell in this photo. They are likely pedipalps which are modified mouth parts.

IMG_3109 by Infinite_Day1, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back