My first macro shot C&C

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
A lot of firsts this week. I guess my new lens has a bit of a macro capability. Nothing like what gibson and light have been shooting but it's still a macro (I guess?).

WildFlower by The Photo Major, on Flickr

I know nothing about macro at all, except you shoot closer than usual. Any tips how to improve it please be my guest.

Well, I feel that this is a close (indeed!) close-up but no "macro photography" as yet. When xyz years ago my then boy-friend took a close-up of my eye only (must not say when that was as most of you weren't even born at that time...!), on film, of course, as "digital photography" wasn't even in the range of thinking of even the most advanced thinkers, I later hated the fact that each and every pore could be seen, and each little unplucked eye brow hair... but looking back today, I must say his photo was quite good - and even closer! Only eye, no cheek, no nose, no hair. I'm not even sure THAT one was a true "macro", though.

Hey man,
Your lens, It's probably 1:3 macro.
Gipson and I are shooting true 1:1 and beyond.
Still a neat looking shot, but I think you'll gimme something better.

The fruitfly I shot for instance.
It was shot with a Pentax 1:1 100mm macro, with a 25mm extension tube, with a raynox 250 on top of it all.
Extreme macro, if you will.
If you wanna get into it, I'll be more than happy to help you out here and there.

Aaaaahhh! Quit looking at my soul!!! I mean seriously...it burns....

Nice shot...good enough...I like it...better than my eye shot

6588120613_ee17c9fbdc.jpg

I do like your eye shot ...you're model has a nice color to her eye. I do see the difference in closeness in Drex's shot....

Both nice.. but even Drex's isnt macro! :)

i like that lens ballistic... I have the 20mm sigma. Your 24 looks good!

You have to remember though if you use a full frame, your shot wont be as magnified.

You have to remember though if you use a full frame, your shot wont be as magnified.

Yep. If I go fullframed, it's because I sold all my gear to get the camera anyway.

Huh?

It will be able to capture a larger FOV at 1:1 though.

1:1 means you can take a picture of an object as big as your sensor and fill the frame. So a cropped sensor is smaller so it can take a pic of a smaller subject.

1:1 means you can take a picture of an object as big as your sensor and fill the frame. So a cropped sensor is smaller so it can take a pic of a smaller subject.

I understand what you are saying but at 1:1 the subject will be the same size with any medium, 1:1. How much real estate it takes up on a sensor, and then on print, is what varies. Right? Am I having a brain fart here or what? Sorry if I am.

I understand what you are saying but at 1:1 the subject will be the same size with any medium, 1:1. How much real estate it takes up on a sensor, and then on print, is what varies. Right? Am I having a brain fart here or what? Sorry if I am.

No you're right - the subject will be reflected on the sensor at the same size as it is in real life. The difference is that the crop sensors will "see" a smaller area of that reflected image and thus when the photos are compared on prints at the same dimensions the crop sensor will appear to have a slightly more magnified image.
Similarly if you were to shoot a 1:1 on medium format and compared it to a 35mm (full frame shot) the fullframe would appear to have a more magnified image - again because the area captured and put onto print would be smaller.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back