My first photo post

starredcivic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi Everyone my name is Brittany and I decided it was finally time to suck it up and post some photos that I have taken. Please Let me know what you all think.

uid=1tmWtEu0iAA9silQ0D7bXYIQ-6YWWfX7GKCcsSuxsT_cJ6wo0Hp_IHekfbrEhosRTAEM3LC2tmc

uid=EdYsRMVx-tyRu5fRklg2b7MB2ConqlQX-RRunwGXxfy43y2XeEoYJ02hO2PNOwRuFAMORu8MKT0

uid=0BMlscmWEL-cG487ACJn0okRVNUtWJh48KXCIB4aVaDEObrGdTOKfT-tIdLtL6a3saOVO-AZM_A

uid=X0iUq9q9GWoNpvcN2_-ffkvp8DKclEU8K4CMHLYlCnYdusNGEoTxh-Wyvyi8MmmsKELAy17fec4

uid=GRSCYi3N8cxEm5fLtdnZmVm3Brwy0HA3gQfCjZgKRAMLAidhYyBtGGU8iiAb03ZqOZGe5RqbJt0

uid=YvOlnvzO9ebdjoJ_LwQQNt4OK5F1lUH8jYI_-oZlwxg8U3XqChCIpMroi3n5VeXyYy0itmJv1GE

uid=55dWlLSdcZh9zBsAPiXSQMeQ1PCnAoHY8atrF42zqop2DdEFX4cld3xmDK6A3txBWYmFSHNpJEg

If you All haven't guessed I have a slight love for landscape/nature photos. I am trying to expand my horizon but not sure how...Does anyone have some recommendations on good things/theme to photograph to break the norm. Thanks everyone!

With your liking the landscapes and nature photos so much, I think this thread is best placed in the Landscape and Nature Gallery, so I moved it.

I really like the composition of the first, that one appeals to me most, but it could do with a little boost in contrasts, that alone might bring out the colours more, or even a tiny boost in colours, depends on what upped contrasts might bring.

Apart from the frog and the cactus, your photos seem to border on overexposure, and the long exposure on the water (good attempt! But I think that in broad daylight you would need a good filter for it) is clearly overexposed. Large parts of the water are brightly white, i.e. "blown out", which is not quite the desired effect, I would think?

The whites of the daisies look like you could still bring out some detail if you lowered brightness a bit with the help of a post processing software such as Photoshop. That one is a very nice photo, too, mind!

So is the waterfall, but that also is a bit "flat", i.e. could do with an increase in contrasts. Maybe you would want to lower the highlights a bit in that one, too?

The close-up of the damselfly is really nice.

What camera are you using?

That is a lovely set of pictures for your first post!! Lafoto has some excellent suggestions to make them even better. I look forward to seeing more and more of your pictures.

As for themes of photos, I'm a 4-H leader and we always do a photography project for the kids to enter photo's at the fair. They are given a list of about 10 things to take pictures of.
Nature
Landscape
Animals
Architecture
Still Life
Something with a motor
Old
New
People
Something Funny
Something Sad

It really brings out the kids imaginations, and you get so many different things for the same subject. But if you specifically look for those things it really broadens what you view as somethin photo worthy. They can use their own camera's if they have one, but there are disposable's handed out for those that don't own a camera. Really surprises me sometimes what comes back on the disposables.
Hope this helps

LaFoto said:
With your liking the landscapes and nature photos so much, I think this thread is best placed in the Landscape and Nature Gallery, so I moved it.

I really like the composition of the first, that one appeals to me most, but it could do with a little boost in contrasts, that alone might bring out the colours more, or even a tiny boost in colours, depends on what upped contrasts might bring.

Apart from the frog and the cactus, your photos seem to border on overexposure, and the long exposure on the water (good attempt! But I think that in broad daylight you would need a good filter for it) is clearly overexposed. Large parts of the water are brightly white, i.e. "blown out", which is not quite the desired effect, I would think?

The whites of the daisies look like you could still bring out some detail if you lowered brightness a bit with the help of a post processing software such as Photoshop. That one is a very nice photo, too, mind!

So is the waterfall, but that also is a bit "flat", i.e. could do with an increase in contrasts. Maybe you would want to lower the highlights a bit in that one, too?

The close-up of the damselfly is really nice.

What camera are you using?

Thanks for all your great comments. I am just now learning how to use photoshop so most of the shots are basically untouched. I am slowly trying to teach myself about photoshop in and around work and school. I am shooting with a Canon 350D. The only one that wasnt with that camera is the one with the cactus and that was shot with my old Olympus.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
As for themes of photos, I'm a 4-H leader and we always do a photography project for the kids to enter photo's at the fair. They are given a list of about 10 things to take pictures of.
Nature
Landscape
Animals
Architecture
Still Life
Something with a motor
Old
New
People
Something Funny
Something Sad

It really brings out the kids imaginations, and you get so many different things for the same subject. But if you specifically look for those things it really broadens what you view as somethin photo worthy. They can use their own camera's if they have one, but there are disposable's handed out for those that don't own a camera. Really surprises me sometimes what comes back on the disposables.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion I will definaly give that a shot this weekend and see what I get

What I found out about my 350D (and it should bug me since it is a good camera, and not exactly on the "cheapo" side) is that when used in "Automatic", it overexposes.
I nowadays use it in "Manual" (M) all the time, and underexpose my every photo!

LaFoto said:
What I found out about my 350D (and it should bug me since it is a good camera, and not exactly on the "cheapo" side) is that when used in "Automatic", it overexposes.
I nowadays use it in "Manual" (M) all the time, and underexpose my every photo!

I never shoot in automatic...it is always on manual...(well unless I am shooting for work then Automatic here I come) So the fact that it is on manual is all my fault that they are overexposed...it could be that I have a poor perception of over/underexposed so when I sit down to edit the images they are fine and then i over do them. But i definatly agree that the images in automatic come out over exposed

2 and 4 were my favorites, for exposure purposes. Now let my nature lesson begin.

Dragonflies and damselflys have distinctive differences. A dragonfly holds it's wings seperated and horizontally, as here. A damselfly holds then vertically along its back. This is a dragonfly for everyone to know. :) Aren't I a geek?

:geek:

Nice Pictures. I truly dont care for picture of Flowers... Even though i recently took on with my MAmiya C330.... But It will prob. be the One and Only time. Shouldn't hold my tongue. But hey Nice work. I hope to get to where u are at. Props.

Sorry, this is not related, but Finisher, your avatar looks so wrong with that little sign in that area!

Most reactions

Back