My first pics! Constructive critics are welcome

How did you get that zoom effect on the mustang picture? My D40 is on it's way. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

The zooming effect is accomplished by zooming in really fast at the same time you take the pic. It is better to have a telephoto lens since it gives you more zoom range to play with. It is easier if the subject is still. Also you might want to lower the shutter speed a little to blur the background. The more elements surrounding your main subject, the better the effect. This one was taken with a Nikkor 55-200 VR lens on my D40. It takes some practice to get the effect since most of the times the pic ends up being too shaken sideways.
Here's another (although it does not make much sense, I only took it to practice the technique):
umbrellaqo1.jpg

I think your off to a good start. Just take lots of pictures, you'll see a slow improvement. Reading a few books never hurts either. I've found that technical expertise comes a lot from reading (and obviously some practice and repitition) and composition will come with experience.

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.
I've been reading a lot of different books. ie Peterson's Understanding Exposure, Seeing Creatively, etc. And others rather technical inclined, to better understand how my camera works. Composition without a doubt comes with experience.
I have a degree in graphic design, so my background studies have a lot of composition and balance material.

The zooming effect is accomplished by zooming in really fast at the same time you take the pic. It is better to have a telephoto lens since it gives you more zoom range to play with. It is easier if the subject is still. Also you might want to lower the shutter speed a little to blur the background. The more elements surrounding your main subject, the better the effect. This one was taken with a Nikkor 55-200 VR lens on my D40. It takes some practice to get the effect since most of the times the pic ends up being too shaken sideways.
Here's another (although it does not make much sense, I only took it to practice the technique):
umbrellaqo1.jpg
Ahh, I get it. Thanks man! :D

Thanks!
BTW nice Pug!

Thanks!

Yeah she doesn't let me go anywhere without her so she's who I take pictures of most...I also bring my camera to the dog park a lot and shoot those dogs. If you can get a good sharp image of a moving dog with a kit lens i'd say its good practice.

Thanks!
BTW nice Pug!

Thanks!

Yeah she doesn't let me go anywhere without her so she's who I take pictures of most...I also bring my camera to the dog park a lot and shoot those dogs. If you can get a good sharp image of a moving dog with a kit lens i'd say its good practice.

Here's a few pics I took of my Chihuahuas taken with my 55-200 VR

This one was shot with a high shutter speed to "freeze" the action.
beenoduckhf7.jpg

The Gang:
gangtl3.jpg

Closeup at 200mm
tofuoq8.jpg

Whoa, those zoom ones make me dizzy too! They're cool though. I'm just glad I haven't had my brakfast eyt! lol!

The bonsai tree ROCKS! The lighting is perfect! I've been expiramenting with sunbursts on the beach. I just think they're too cool. :)

#1 would be a really cool pic if you had a tripod. Like someone else said, you can get a really cheap one, it is better than nothing. Just make sure it's not so cheap it won't support your camera and lens. You did a good job holding the camera still, though.

The others are all pretty good, I'm pretty new at this, too, so I can't offer too much in the way of a critique.

I had a Chihuahua when I was a kid, it was the meanest little dog I have ever had.

Most reactions

Back