What's new

My first pictures! and question about lens

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 29, 2010
Messages
1,965
Reaction score
103
Location
Pensacola, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few pictures I've taken so far!

Advice, opinions?

Also, can you get a fixed 50mm 1.8 lens for the nikon d3000?

Thanks again!

5x7ps6.jpg


20544lt.jpg
 
For 2, probably should have used a fill flash to balance out the sunlit area.

Does the D3000 use AF-S lenses? Why do you want a 50mm lens?
 
The D3000 can use any lens Nikon has made since 1959. (some won't meter, some won't AF, some won't do either but virtually all of them will mount, and can be used to make images.)

So, yes, you can use the AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens on the D3000.

The AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens cannot auto focus (AF) on the D3000 because the lens doesn't have a focus motor in it.

However, the AF 50 mm f/1.8D does send distance information to the camera (that's what the D after f/1.8 means) and when the photographer has manually focused the lens and focus at the selected focus point has been achieved, the camera will turn-on the in-focus indicator in the camera's viewfinder.

So, at worse, manually focusing the AF 50 mm f/1.8D is a semi-automatic operation.

Photographers got by with manual focus for a way longer than auto focus has been around.

Plus, there are some situations where AF just doesn't work, and it's very valuable to know how to manually focus lenses that do have a focus motor in them.
 
I want one because I like to take closer photos, not macro, but closer shots.
 
I'm a newbie here on the forums, but I have the D40 and the above mentioned 35mm 1.8 and adore it! It isnt' too pricy at all compared to a lot of lenses either.
 
I'm a newbie here on the forums, but I have the D40 and the above mentioned 35mm 1.8 and adore it! It isnt' too pricy at all compared to a lot of lenses either.

+1

I just picked the same lens up earlier this week for $199. After reading all the great reviews, it's a steal of a lens (and a bunch of local shops can't keep it on their shelves - had to order it).
 
thank you guys so much i'll look into it!
 
I advise you to go to the Nikon website and look to see if your lens that you have now might focus closer then the 50mm lens. You can go to their lens section and compare the various lenses. You will get a faster lens than what you have now with a 1.8 f stop but it might not give you what you want.

If you decide to buy used just make sure your light meter and lens control can work. On the older lenses I have they do have a manual aperture ring (vs electronically controlling it via the camera) but the light meter will not work in the camera.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom