Bgagnon127

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.briangagnonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I know this is really "safe" but I'm trying to really learn the basics of straight up portrait photography using multiple studio lights. I'd really appreciate straight up criticism and what ever you think is good to help me get better. Thanks.

DSC0273-Edit-L.jpg

It looks to be underexposed. You also need more separation from you and the background with a backlight or such.

cnutco said:
It looks to be underexposed. You also need more separation from you and the background with a backlight or such.

A backlight hitting the back of me to give the rim light effect? I agree if thats what youre saying. I just need more lighting to do so, I have very limited lights right now.

Well, it's safe as you say, but is that really what you want? "Safe" usually denotes typical, ordinary, boring. Don't take offense to this, but it looks as if you are standing flat footed with your knees locked in position. Am I close? Did you realize that every good portrait begins with the feet? Now with that said, I must add that you have avoided a very serious mistake most beginners make. YOU TURNED YOUR BODY. Now go ahead and give yourself a hug.

Here's something that might help on your next outing. Using the exact same positions of you and the camera, make a few minor adjustments. Use an apple crate (lingo for a step) anywhere from 4" to 12" to place your right foot on. I have a few blocks of styrofoam packing and a two step ladder for these purposes. If you have a bar stool handy, that might also come into play. What you want to create is lines for the viewer to follow in the photo. If you were to place your right foot on a block to elevate it, that would naturally raise your right shoulder. Now if you were to also lower you left shoulder, that would create a very nice line for the shoulders. The masculine head position is tilting towards the lower shoulder. This is only helped by placing that right foot on a block.

Now, get your hands out of your pockets. With the right foot raised on the block, rest your right forearm on the raised knee. Bend at the waist. Place your left hand on your hip and this should create a complimentary and wider viewing angle, if not similar angle that you've made by placing your right forearm on your right knee.

If you have a bar stool, you can do the sam sort of positions. But think to sit on your hip, not flat on your butt. Again, it's about creating dynamics in the photo, not static discharge.

I would like to ask you what your lighting setup is. Reason being is that although you have a nice ratio working on your face, but not enough separation from the background, It seems as if the main light is predominantly hitting your torso rather than your face. In portraits, the face is the main ingredient.

I know I'm going on, but this has potential. Sorry for the dribble.

Your backlight can also be a continuous light that you may have around the house. You can do it either the way you spoke of or to light up the background. You just have to match you W/B to it.

Here are the thirds marked (approximately)

The only thing going on is at the very top, nothing at the power points at all.
Listen to the posing suggestions and get some interesting things at the interesting places.

lldsc0273editl.jpg

Well, it's safe as you say, but is that really what you want? "Safe" usually denotes typical, ordinary, boring. Don't take offense to this, but it looks as if you are standing flat footed with your knees locked in position. Am I close? Did you realize that every good portrait begins with the feet? Now with that said, I must add that you have avoided a very serious mistake most beginners make. YOU TURNED YOUR BODY. Now go ahead and give yourself a hug.

Here's something that might help on your next outing. Using the exact same positions of you and the camera, make a few minor adjustments. Use an apple crate (lingo for a step) anywhere from 4" to 12" to place your right foot on. I have a few blocks of styrofoam packing and a two step ladder for these purposes. If you have a bar stool handy, that might also come into play. What you want to create is lines for the viewer to follow in the photo. If you were to place your right foot on a block to elevate it, that would naturally raise your right shoulder. Now if you were to also lower you left shoulder, that would create a very nice line for the shoulders. The masculine head position is tilting towards the lower shoulder. This is only helped by placing that right foot on a block.

Now, get your hands out of your pockets. With the right foot raised on the block, rest your right forearm on the raised knee. Bend at the waist. Place your left hand on your hip and this should create a complimentary and wider viewing angle, if not similar angle that you've made by placing your right forearm on your right knee.

If you have a bar stool, you can do the sam sort of positions. But think to sit on your hip, not flat on your butt. Again, it's about creating dynamics in the photo, not static discharge.

I would like to ask you what your lighting setup is. Reason being is that although you have a nice ratio working on your face, but not enough separation from the background, It seems as if the main light is predominantly hitting your torso rather than your face. In portraits, the face is the main ingredient.

I know I'm going on, but this has potential. Sorry for the dribble.

thats exactly the critique i was looking for. i know a lot of what youre saying in theory by reading it but putting it to practice is a bit harder. the crate or bar stool idea is great thanks.

Your backlight can also be a continuous light that you may have around the house. You can do it either the way you spoke of or to light up the background. You just have to match you W/B to it.

Here are the thirds marked (approximately)

The only thing going on is at the very top, nothing at the power points at all.
Listen to the posing suggestions and get some interesting things at the interesting places.

lldsc0273editl.jpg

thanks for the comments. im going to be shooting more today so i'll update this thread to show if i've made progress.

with my current setup I have the key light about 45 deg off to the left of camera with a bounce umbrella which is just slightly above eye level. then i have an open head bouncing off the cieling to camera right for fill. then a speed light behind me on a low stand to hit the background but i guess not enough. i'll post a pic though.

Watch out that you don't force the edges of your frame to close to your subject as well. You didn't leave much space around the top of your head. If you were to put this in a frame it would look really awkward. Try to leave a bit more head room.

Watch out that you don't force the edges of your frame to close to your subject as well. You didn't leave much space around the top of your head. If you were to put this in a frame it would look really awkward. Try to leave a bit more head room.
Thanks for the feedback. I have low ceilings in my basement which is where I have to shoot so its tight. I'm going to post a shot of the setup, any input is appreciated.

Ok here goes, did I listen well?
What do you think? Does it look more dynamic to you? As a viewer, do you feel more connected to the model? Does it provide you a reasonable likeness?
It's really a matter of numbers, trial and error, mistakes after mistakes, slight adjustments here and there.

My setup.
with my current setup I have the key light about 45 deg off to the left of camera with a bounce umbrella which is just slightly above eye level. then i have an open head bouncing off the cieling to camera right for fill. then a speed light behind me on a low stand to hit the background but i guess not enough.
Okay, I see that you have plenty of length, but are somewhat limited on height. This is a good reason to find a chair to lower yourself, for the time being. This will also raise your lights, in essence, giving you more flexibility with positioning them. If I might make a few suggestions for your consideration.

I would first move your position forward so that you are ~6 feet from the background. This will create a greater separation for you. Next, position your main light just out of frame to soften the light. The further away the light, the smaller it becomes. Obviously there are times when this is desired, but seldom in the type of shot you are attempting here. Having a separate fill light is great, but having it opposite the main cancels out the modeling (shadows) you've created with your main light. Try having it directly over the lens (height appropriate) to no more than ~18" on the same side as the main. If you have a wall behind you, you could even bounce the fill off that providing that it is white to avoid any color casting (bed sheet, poster board, is that a Lastolite trigrip reflector on the left of you setup shot?). IMO, the background light is not your friend here only because of the texture of the background material and it is set too low. Typically in the fashion you're using it, you would want it to be at the same height as your head.... or down low pointing up..... or up high pointing down.... or turned so that it firing at your head (this would give a nice rim light). But I think a better use is to have it ~135 degrees from the camera (opposite the main light) to highlight your hair to give separation from the background. You could add a snoot or grid to target a specific part of your head. It's amazing how much that little bit of light can add to an image. When you get more lights, you can use them to hit the background.

Keep at it dude, it looks like you want to do well. I think you will.

Most reactions

Back