I've been thinking about that last shot quite a bit today. I like how the picture seems balanced with him on one side and the rock thing. I hate the ugly green chair that's up front but he didn't know I was taking the picture, so I couldn't exactly stand up and move it.
The pictures that you posted ended up being very small pixels, so it was impossible to get the best results. However, I did mess around with this one (which was my favorite) and came up with something less saturated and made the dog stand out just a little more.
You should be able to do very little pp to the originals to achieve a nice result, because I think the originals are not too bad to begin with. Maybe lighten, sharpen, crop, etc? This is what I came up with and I'm almost hesitant to post it because it isn't something that I would call a final product, but you get the idea.
Do you have photoshop? If so, I just used the lasso and selected the dog, and then selected the background ... blur ... gaussian ... and you can adjust any strength that you want. I made sure to blur enough so you would be able to see what I did.
Like I said, this was just an example because of the low pixels and by the time I copied it off the forum it was a little difficult to make it look nice. However, you could do this with your original picture.