My First Timelapse Film- White Mountain National Forest

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Well, it took forever to finish, but here is my first timelapse film, focusing on the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire (and a tiny bit of Maine). I had no idea how much work this project would be, but it was an amazing experience and I learned a ton. The timelapse/video side of things is fun!

All the technical stuff-

I shot this with my Nikon D750, mostly with the Tamron 15-30, some scenes with the 24-120, 50mm, and 70-200. For motion control I used the Syrp Genie and their 5ft slider. Hiking miles and miles up mountains with all this gear SUCKED. I rendered everything at 30fps (300 photos=10" of video), using LRTimelapse and compiling everything in Premiere Pro.

Enjoy, thanks everyone!

I enjoyed all of it, but the night/daybreak scene was truly brilliant. Do you have any plans to do some story telling with this type of thing? I think that'd be awesome.

I enjoyed all of it, but the night/daybreak scene was truly brilliant. Do you have any plans to do some story telling with this type of thing? I think that'd be awesome.

Thanks! That scene was a PAIN to get, it's a decent hike up that ledge and we never slept, getting back to the car around sunrise (that sequence is Milky Way into Moonrise btw, not sunrise).

I'll be working on covering places all over New England for the next one, but it'll probably take the next year just to shoot

OH WOW! Enjoyed this very much.

Thanks! That scene was a PAIN to get, it's a decent hike up that ledge and we never slept, getting back to the car around sunrise (that sequence is Milky Way into Moonrise btw, not sunrise).

I'll be working on covering places all over New England for the next one, but it'll probably take the next year just to shoot[/QUOTE]

I was involved in doing a trailer for a dance show early this year 2 days of filming for a few minutes of trailer, hard to believe the work involved.

Where can you find information about time lapse on a DSLR, I really need to now use my 750 after forking out for it.

That was incredible. My wife and I visited the White Mountains this past September and you really captured the magic of the place.

edited to add: Is that a view from Mt. Willard at about :31? That's one of the hikes we did while there.

Last edited:
Well, I hope you're proud of yourself ............. for making me so green with envy! Great work, very enjoyable to watch and I hope you do more of these. For the motion, is your camera only traveling 5 feet or do you then move the slider and keep making the same scene?

I was involved in doing a trailer for a dance show early this year 2 days of filming for a few minutes of trailer, hard to believe the work involved.

Where can you find information about time lapse on a DSLR, I really need to now use my 750 after forking out for it.

There's lots of good info on timelapse on Time Lapse Network — Free Tutorials, Videos, forum and much more!

That was incredible. My wife and I visited the White Mountains this past September and you really captured the magic of the place.

edited to add: Is that a view from Mt. Willard at about :31? That's one of the hikes we did while there.

Thanks! And yup, that's from Willard. That was one of my first hikes in the White Mountains years ago, and one of the more iconic views in the area, so I knew I had to get a clip from there. I think I ended up hiking back up there like 4 times in 2 weeks to get the motion/light I wanted.

Well, I hope you're proud of yourself ............. for making me so green with envy! Great work, very enjoyable to watch and I hope you do more of these. For the motion, is your camera only traveling 5 feet or do you then move the slider and keep making the same scene?

Thanks! Yeah, only traveling 5 feet (and a lot of times I'd only end up doing like 3ft of motion). If you stopped and moved the slider, the time between photos would make the final timelapse look jumpy. A few times, for whatever reason, my camera would drop a frame during the sequence, so 299 of the photos would have a 3 second interval between frames, and then one frame would have a 6 second interval (if that makes sense, it would just not fire for one frame), and the entire sequence was ruined because the cloud movement was jumpy. And that's just a few extra seconds. Moving the slider and making sure everything is level again takes a few minutes

This is great. I enjoyed every second of it. The music was also very appropriate and fit the movie very well. Thanks for sharing. :thumbyo: :thumbyo: :thumbyo:

WesternGuy

Absolutely incredible!

I've been wanting to get into time lapse work, but haven't shelled out the cash for a slider yet and find them boring without one.

Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely incredible!

I've been wanting to get into time lapse work, but haven't shelled out the cash for a slider yet and find them boring without one.

Thanks! The Syrp Genie mini does panning and is only like $300...between panning and doing post zooms you can get some really nice motion in your lapses, plus you don't have to carry an extra 25 pounds! Hah

great enjoyed the show thank you for your time , al

Most reactions

Back