My first wedding!

ddeerreekk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's 9 pictures from my first wedding:
www.derekbranscombe.squarespace.com/portfolio/wedding/

Obviously a lot of those are quite heavily edited, but it was what the couple was looking for and, in my opinion, turned out the best.

Also, I'm not sure if you recall but I was on here asking for some advice prior to this and got some negative feedback saying I wasn't prepared, shouldn't be doing it, etc. I'd just like to reinforce that for this wedding there was a very limited budget and the couple chose to go with me, completely aware of my experience and capabilities. They were very pleased with the photos.

That being said, I'd like to get any opinions I could. I can post some more natural ones here as well if that would be better.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You'll get more opinions/critique if you post the images in the forum, rather that just a link to your gallery.

Thanks for the tip : )

730591259793701.jpg

730591259793713.jpg

730591259793725.jpg

730591259793782.jpg

#1 although you cropped to tight, I like the composition and people's expression. I don't like the bokeh you created. Either it was shot that way or in PP, its just toooo soft and toooo superficial
#2 Same as above on softness plus the foregound wall is really really distracting. IF it were flowers, or B&G were holding hands extended while you focused on them then it would be a different story.
#3 Like the Effect, don't like groom's angle - he looks FAT. Wedding images supposed, at least in theory, glorify the love birds not the opposite
#4 I like, but here's a food for thought - both are showing left hands, thus have HIM hold her hand OR he with left and she with right hands.
-------------------
They were very pleased with the photos.
Using clients as judges is really not the best thing, most of them don't know/understand photography. Peers would be and are better.

Overall, it isn't bad, but it is a start and there's room, a LOT of room for improvement. :)

Keep Shooting :)

Personally, I love how everything is. I find it very nice for a first timer and I feel the softness of the photos may be daunting for me as a landscape photographer, but when I think of it from a more general creative mind and as a musician, I find the softness brings out emotion. The people don't look separate, they look more like one people. One thing I would prefer is more defined, saturated colors in the subjects. I'd want to focus on the people more. In the second photo this is done a little better because the groom has the light coming in from the left taking away a lot of color. Even so, more color would be nice. As for the bunch of guys, I really like the photo. Its the "guys" photo, "here with the pals", I've seen too many formal versions of the photo that it looks false to me, but again, deeper colors are nice for these sort of photos IMO. As for the final photo, I feel there is too much image in the lower half that it takes away from the hands.

Overall, pretty good job and I think it'll only get better from here. IMHO, I would get critiquing by peers as mentioned above, but personally I'd leave it down to what the couple want, it is their photos

Hello,

congrats for your wedding. Hope you enjoyed your wedding a lot. You both are looking so nice. Your wife is so beautiful.Nice pair.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello,

congrats for your wedding. Hope you enjoyed your wedding a lot. You both are looking so nice. Your wife is so beautiful.Nice pair.

Regards,
Olivia
Olivia, I'm not quite sure if you're joking or not - the photos are of the OP's client. :)

I have seen worse, typically of people just getting started these are rather dull and dark. I can see where the people you were taking them for probably thought they were ok judging from your explanation.
Keep working on it, you will improve as you gain experience.

I like the effect of photo #3, could somebody (or the OP) perhaps tell me how it is done?

Many thanks!

#1 although you cropped to tight, I like the composition and people's expression. I don't like the bokeh you created. Either it was shot that way or in PP, its just toooo soft and toooo superficial
#2 Same as above on softness plus the foregound wall is really really distracting. IF it were flowers, or B&G were holding hands extended while you focused on them then it would be a different story.
#3 Like the Effect, don't like groom's angle - he looks FAT. Wedding images supposed, at least in theory, glorify the love birds not the opposite
#4 I like, but here's a food for thought - both are showing left hands, thus have HIM hold her hand OR he with left and she with right hands.

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I see what you mean about the focus on the first two. It's obviously not something you'd want on all pictures but for some specialty ones I thought it looked alright. The main point of it is to bring the attention into the center, however I can see how it'd be distracting.

For the third photo, what do you think that made the groom look like that? Is it the angle of his body?

For the fourth, again, great point. I didn't even think of that (that they both had their left hands out).

Using clients as judges is really not the best thing, most of them don't know/understand photography. Peers would be and are better.

Overall, it isn't bad, but it is a start and there's room, a LOT of room for improvement. :)

Keep Shooting :)

On this last point I'm going to have to disagree a bit. Yes, for criticism of the photo's and looking for room to improve, the clients are certainly not going to know best. However what they said to me is more important then what any of you said. What's the use with pictures that all photographers think are good but the couple hates? If their happy, I feel I've done my job. I think that should be the primary concern for photographers.

But yes, I do certainly have a long way to go, hopefully you'll see some more pictures up of mine in the future. :)

Personally, I love how everything is. I find it very nice for a first timer and I feel the softness of the photos may be daunting for me as a landscape photographer, but when I think of it from a more general creative mind and as a musician, I find the softness brings out emotion. The people don't look separate, they look more like one people. One thing I would prefer is more defined, saturated colors in the subjects. I'd want to focus on the people more. In the second photo this is done a little better because the groom has the light coming in from the left taking away a lot of color. Even so, more color would be nice. As for the bunch of guys, I really like the photo. Its the "guys" photo, "here with the pals", I've seen too many formal versions of the photo that it looks false to me, but again, deeper colors are nice for these sort of photos IMO. As for the final photo, I feel there is too much image in the lower half that it takes away from the hands.

Overall, pretty good job and I think it'll only get better from here. IMHO, I would get critiquing by peers as mentioned above, but personally I'd leave it down to what the couple want, it is their photos

Thanks for the kind words. The photo of the 'boys' was slightly desaturated on purpose for effect, but I agree the others could be a bit more colorful.

I have seen worse, typically of people just getting started these are rather dull and dark. I can see where the people you were taking them for probably thought they were ok judging from your explanation.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean, are you saying that the pictures look typical of a beginner, that they are dull and dark? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to remedy this? I didn't think the exposure was off.

I like the effect of photo #3, could somebody (or the OP) perhaps tell me how it is done?

Many thanks!

It's really not to sure, basically it's just got the contrast bumped and some vignetting. I also have it desaturated a bit, to get a more controlled look I duplicated the layer and converted it to b&w with the channel mixer, then set that layer to a lower opacity. I also did a bit of dodging on the faces to help them come out a bit more.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with photoshop, so if you need any more explanation I'd be happy to go into it further.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back