My First Wedding.

Ballsy as hell to take this on.

Not bad given what you were contending with. Manual focus, a camera you'd never held before, and never shot a wedding? It's a damn miracle you got any keepers, and you did some keepers. Not a lot, but more than zero is an accomplishment.

Dump the ones that are not either a) in focus or b) an absolutely critical photograph of the event. Be ruthless. If you end up with 6 or 4 or 2 pretty good images, that's *fine*. 6 good ones is better than 100 trash ones.

Then learn some editing. Many of these can be improved in post by opening up shadows and moving contrast and saturation around. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX FOCUS PROBLEMS WITH THE "SHARPEN" OR "CLARITY" SLIDER. It won't work, and it'll do awful things to the photos.

As for the out of focus but critical shots, well. First of all you can print them small, if they're only a little OOF. Or you can monkey around with making them hazy and abstract or whatever. Some of the silhouettes are pretty good, even though they're out of focus, since they can be seen as representing in a dreamy way something of the idea of the moment, rather than a critically sharp record of the moment. Perhaps you can collage some of the out of focus ones together to create a larger image out of images that are small enough to appear sharp. Think out of the box. You didn't produce a professional portfolio of work here, nope. You DID create some raw material, and maybe you can craft that into something that captures something of the feel of the day.

None of this is a substitute for good quality wedding photography, this is really about getting the best out of the work you managed to accomplish.

Again, well done in the circumstances.

I have hundreds of photos from the weddings, and looking back I probably could have switched some of them out with better quality ones...I was selecting the ones I uploaded looking at thumbnails because my computer sucks at opening images -_-

Thanks for the input guys, like I said this photo shoot was purely for fun, my brother let me and my friend was cool with me borrowing the camera. But I figured I'd get as much input as possible...probably should have waited till I was back on my anti depressents to post photos when I knew I would get torn apart...but whatever ;)

I will definitely take all of your input into consideration, and will continue to work on my photography as much as possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back