My first wedding

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title so eloquently states, this was the first wedding I've shot. I shot this couple's engagement photos a few weeks prior to the wedding. I don't make a habit of weddings. This was my first, and very well might be my last. It was a bit of a favor as they were on a tight budget and I know the bride and groom. I researched the hell out of things before the wedding and used every tool I had at my disposal. I learned a lot. There are some things I would have definitely done differently if I were doing it over. I have my own critiques of the day as a whole, not just the images. My hat is off to all of you working professionals! I'm sure it gets easier with time and practice, but holy hell, it was a lot of work!

The venue was a huge challenge. I actually attended a wedding at the venue as a guest a couple months earlier, and perhaps my memory was sugar coated, but I thought there was more shade then there actually was! Day of I was hunting left and right trying to find shady places and there just weren't any! The time of day didn't help, either... One thing I quickly realized as my biggest limiting factor was a lack of poses, "shots to get", etc. My repertoire to draw from was severely lacking. By the end of the day I was opening it up to suggestions because I simply had no more ideas. I also wish I had more images of the guests, but I just didn't have time. It was also a bit unorthodox because there was no dance floor so everyone was sort of spread out doing different things on the grounds. Anyway, enough excuses...

Here are a few of my favorites as well as a link to the full set for anyone who wishes to thumb through them all.. Feedback and C&C is always welcome!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/54751692@N08/8eX243

No technical critique from me as this is not my area but looking at these from an emotional standpoint, I'd say you killed it! You captured the joy and emotion of the day. #5 is my favorite. A great shot of their happiness and love. The couple looks like they were comfortable with you and your camera - natural not awkward. I really like the light and dof in #7 - it also nicely shows off her up-do and dress. Would love to see that one without the bridesmaids.

Congrats on you 1st wedding.

I don't shoot this type of photography but I would say from the examples here you did a great job.

No technical critique from me as this is not my area but looking at these from an emotional standpoint, I'd say you killed it! You captured the joy and emotion of the day. #5 is my favorite. A great shot of their happiness and love. The couple looks like they were comfortable with you and your camera - natural not awkward. I really like the light and dof in #7 - it also nicely shows off her up-do and dress. Would love to see that one without the bridesmaids.

Congrats on you 1st wedding.

I don't shoot this type of photography but I would say from the examples here you did a great job.

Good job in what looks like some tough light. As @SquarePeg stated, you nailed the emotional side.

Thank you all, very much! The lighting was definitely a challenge. Just about everything was either back lit or I was scrounging for the tiniest piece of shade. I really struggled with the WB on a lot of them because of the back lighting. Also, the bride's skin was so white that it sucked up any and all color casts around it... I'll be putting their proof gallery up tonight, so fingers crossed they enjoy them!

Ya' did alright! Some nice pics. Cute couple. For a "first wedding" these are so,so much better than one might expect to be seen under such a title.

Those are really nice, good job.

I recently did one and I didn't have the courage to post any on here. Mine was on a farm, no shade, no trees, just fields and silo. The actual wedding was in a barn, the whole thing was just brutal. They liked the pics, that's all that mattered to me. I used a speedlight with a piece of 5 x 7 photo paper gaffer'd to it. People just didn't want to cooperate either. I have zero interest in doing them.

If I was the bride, I'd be thrilled with these shots. I don't do weddings either, although I did shoot my second wedding for the same reasons you did, friends. I think you did a fantastic job. These are really great shots and certainly better that what I received for my wedding.

She wants to see the beefcake lineup... lol

Ya' did alright! Some nice pics. Cute couple. For a "first wedding" these are so,so much better than one might expect to be seen under such a title.
Thank you, Derrel!

Those are really nice, good job.

I recently did one and I didn't have the courage to post any on here. Mine was on a farm, no shade, no trees, just fields and silo. The actual wedding was in a barn, the whole thing was just brutal. They liked the pics, that's all that mattered to me. I used a speedlight with a piece of 5 x 7 photo paper gaffer'd to it. People just didn't want to cooperate either. I have zero interest in doing them.
Thanks! That wedding sounds like my nightmare scenario, haha. So long as they liked them, that's all that matters. I'm sure they are better than you think. We all tend to be our own worst critic.

If I was the bride, I'd be thrilled with these shots. I don't do weddings either, although I did shoot my second wedding for the same reasons you did, friends. I think you did a fantastic job. These are really great shots and certainly better that what I received for my wedding.
Thank you! I dont know that I'll do another now that I have a better appreciation for how much work they are.

She wants to see the beefcake lineup... lol
Haha!

Most reactions

Back