reissigree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
Every time you shoot, think "background, background, background." Some of these shots have potential, but the background is sloppy and distracting. There are too many to comment on, but remember to take care of your horizons, and make sure they are level, especially in #7

1 & 2 - a little underexposed to my eye
3 & 4 - snapshots really - look at your composition and what you are cutting out of the frame
5 & 6 - backgrounds as mentioned; also - these two have quite low contrast
7 - favourite from the lot - nice lighting but the composition could use some work (seems there is more of interest to the left rather than the section to the right and what does the road add)

Keep shooting :)

Lol at first I thought the girl was flipping you the bird.

1 & 2 - a little underexposed to my eye
3 & 4 - snapshots really - look at your composition and what you are cutting out of the frame
5 & 6 - backgrounds as mentioned; also - these two have quite low contrast
7 - favourite from the lot - nice lighting but the composition could use some work (seems there is more of interest to the left rather than the section to the right and what does the road add)

Keep shooting :)
Thanks so much!!
What do you mean look at what I'm cutting out? And what do you mean what does the road add? Can these all be fixed in Photoshop?
I really appreciate the tips, I just started and I love it so far! haha

Thanks so much!!
What do you mean look at what I'm cutting out? And what do you mean what does the road add? Can these all be fixed in Photoshop?
I really appreciate the tips, I just started and I love it so far! haha

By cutting out I mean what is getting left out of the picture with your composition. So for the second of the dog there is a reasonable amount of room above his/her head but the front arms are missing at the bottom. Things like that aren't necessarily bad; they just need consideration when you are taking the shot.

With the road I am referring to the large amount of dead space it creates. To me the houses and palms are the focal point, so a large amount of road in the image doesn't add anything. On the other hand, the sky contrasts with the orange tones being picked up on the houses, so while it is a clear sky it still works pretty well. Do the houses continue to the left?; because if so I think it could work better with them filling to the right of the frame (while maintaining the current perspective lines).

The added contrast in the shots of the girl is good but a couple of other things:
You can use Levels to take your dark tones right to black; that will help it from looking washed out, and
if you desaturate the grass in the images a little (not talking selective colour at all) our eyes will interpret the other areas to have higher saturation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe after brightness our eyes are naturally drawn to the most saturated section of an image, so if your subject has higher saturation they will grab more focus.

keep working on it

I too am new at the whole DSLR game. From this forum I was turned on to a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I would suggest you purchase it and read it from cover to cover.

I too am new at the whole DSLR game. From this forum I was turned on to a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I would suggest you purchase it and read it from cover to cover.
Thanks, I will for sure.

Most reactions

Back