My Hand's Up

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just on ritz camera and it seems that they are trying to get rid of there stock of discontinued Pentax *ist DL's and I was thinking of buying one to sell - I live on a island where we only have 1 Dslr seller and he sells Olympus E410's for over $800 :er:.
But then I am rethinking this for:
1.it Usb port is a 1.0
&
2.it can not use SDHC cards

What are your Thoughts on this?
And if I do buy it should I also buy some equipment for it?

Last edited:
No, if you already have nikon, look at expanding on this. Nikon makes incredible products available more from just your neighborhood place. Look at Adorama.

Well if you think you can make money off it then I would go for it. Is there a market for Dslrs where you are? Is the question you have to answer. How cheap are they selling them?

No, if you already have nikon, look at expanding on this. Nikon makes incredible products available more from just your neighborhood place. Look at Adorama.

i don't think he was planning on buying the pentax to use it, seeing as he said "i was thinking of buying one to sell"

Unless you already have the infrastructure for a BUSINESS in place, are ready to pay taxes on all sales, and have done all the work concerned to setup a business plan, I would say no don't do it. I would also say no to non-current stock purchases. All it takes is a small trip to a computer screen to note that your new cameras are "old stock", then you are stuck with them and out of pocket too.

Thanks for all the input. And I knew before starting this thread that the pentax *is DL was discontinued but was thinking even so someone who wanted a entry-level Dslr would want it because of its price.

Certainly the *is aren't bad cameras. The 6mp might be a little bit of a put off for the 'must have mp crowd' but I do know the Pentax UG in the UK rather like the is* HOWEVER the DL is the lowest spec of the lot. If it was the DS or DS2 I'd say you might have a plan. The DL however would need to be really cheap to be worth it.

I'm a pentaxian chiming in here! I tutor students taking the photography class in school. My students use my old istDL when we tutor so that they can instantly see what changing settings can do to a picture. Then we go and use my old Pentax ZX-30 35mm and take pictures on film like is required for class.

When I have parents ask me about a "cheap" but "good" camera they can buy their students that wont put a huge dent in their wallets, but that can keep up with their kids' needs I tell them to research the istDL cameras. It is a great camera for that first time DSLR buyer. I used mine for years without complaint. Its the camera that I let my son haul around when he wants to play photographer!

I think if you sold it to someone whose buying their first DSLR, and they don't want a 2000.00 camera, it would be a great buy for them. Maybe buy a prime lens to sell with it to sweeten the pot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back