My informal formality...

nate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I did a Google search today for "amateur photography" and ended up at this forum. I browsed through the topics and decided this might be what I was looking for: a supportive but critical place to trade pictures and knowledge. Having browsed the forums a bit, it seems like there's a solid group of skilled, friendly people. That's great.

I'm just out of college (I studied... umm... it's a long story. Can we call it philosophy for now?), recently married, and very recently come to photography. For years and years, I had the itch. I'd see other people framing photographs and think, "The treasures of my life are slipping away..." I listened to the Simon & Garfunkel song Bookends (Long ago, it must be / I have a photograph / Preserve your memories / They're all that's left you...) and knew it was true. Now that I'm finally employed, I bought a digital camera: a Canon Powershot G2 4.0 Megapixel digital camera, to be precise.

I've been shooting for about four months, and am loving it. It does get a little bit lonely, though. Which is why I'm here.

hmmm..ive never thought of it as a lonely experience.
i actually use it as my me time. i much prefer to get out and take pics alone than with friends hanging around.

welcome :)

I don't think I'd want friends around, either. Or... not often. (I've had some good experiences photographing with a like-minded friend.) But I like to be in a community of people who are interested. I certainly have some audience in the form of friends and relations, but none of them are people who take pictures, people who can say, "I like that you're doing this, but have you ever tried doing this?" None of them photograph themselves, so rarely do I get to see pictures and think, "By the dog, now that's where I want to go!"

Some of the photographs here have made me think that, which is why I like it. I love photography but am unsatisfied at my current level of ability. I want to make progress.

nate, its good to have ya on board. This is a great place to learn and meet nutty photographers:)

I've was in charlottesville va about 7 years ago. Ever hear of a singer named shannon worrell from around the area?

Thanks, Mark. As to the singer you mentioned, I'm afraid not. But I'm only a very recent arrival here in Charlottesville. After graduating in May from a college in Maryland, I moved down here to where my bride-to-be grew up. So I've lived in Charlottesville just over six months. And, really, Charlottesville is pretty thickly populated with musical acts for a town its size... I don't know a fraction of the musicians out here. Charlottesville is definitely a cool place to live.

Welcome to the boards Nate! :D You do make Charlottesville sound cool. I am about over Atlanta and the smog and the traffic, and like to dream about where I'll eventually end up.

I get what you're saying about photography feeling lonely at times. It's the BEST to be around fellow freaks who at least appreciate what you're after, whether you've gotten there or not. Best way to learn. When you're really excited about something, it's easy to feel a bit cut off when surrounded by people at work or well meaning, but uncomprehending, friends. :wink:

Terri, I have to admit that Charlottesville's primary drawback is that it thinks the world of itself. People here consider it the most progressive, literate, cultured place one could possibly live. Now, it goes far in justifying this conceit... never have I actually encountered a town this literate and cultured. But can you put up with the resultant pompousness? Of course, could there be a town like this that didn't work as hard at it as Charlottesville does?

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Georgia based purely on the heat. I do recommend Virginia--you're certainly welcome if you ever choose to come through.

Anyway, that excitement about photography is something I want to nurture. I don't want to level off in my interest and ability. And I think preserving such an interest takes work.

Hi Nate. I'm rather new to the board myself - registered months ago but then my monitor died a slow death which minimized my participation on the board. I'm back in full force now!

I chuckled about your "i studied...umm....it's a long story" comment. Sounds like something I'd say because when it comes to studies I never really decided what I was studying.

As you can tell there's much to learn here! See you around!

vonnagy said:
nate, its good to have ya on board. This is a great place to learn and meet nutty photographers:)

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Welcome aboard Nate and enjoy!

Most reactions

Back