My Munchkins

claned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These are from an outing at a local park this morning. It's in the 90s at 9 something in the morning right now, so by the time we walked from the parking lot to the boardwalk, they were hot, tired and sweaty.

Shot with Nikon D40, 50mm 1.8 lens, so manual focus. ISO 200.

Can this be saved? It is very soft, but I like it. Play if you are so inclined.
2692394891_a98f5dc88d.jpg

Similar shot. I played with it in B&W
2693209702_978e1f84cc.jpg

2693205938_48cd2334ba.jpg

2692398449_e18fa964fc.jpg

Son was over it all and ready to go to the playground. The others of him were horribly out of focus, or poorly exposed.

I really like your #2 except for the blown highlights on the bridge.

The bridge has a pavilion midway out over the lake and we had been hanging out under it, with kids running it and out of the shade. There were many settings changed, but (obviously) not enough.

I was mostly out to play with the 50mm 1.8 lens and see what I could do with it.

Another of my youngest
2693214808_f7ee777271.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
These pics are suffering from OVER exposure...
Take test shots and CHECK your histogram before committing to the shot - make sure the beach-line of the data gets close-to, but does NOT fall off the right side of the gram...
Well... Pic 1 can be saved to some extent in PP
But maybe you wouldn't get a large print image. Canvas prints can neutralise softness... Maybe add texture in PP - experiment...
Pic 3 requires some colour pop as well as adjusting for exposure
When over-exposure occurs - the colours look drab
Why is she cross-biting? Looks studious...
Give her more chocolate to make her laugh...
Pic 4 - overexposed: so colours drab - washed out...
I popped this - but need to colour match too (I didn't)
Pic 'youngest'
IMHO - your use of narrow DOF / f1.8 has absolutely ruined what would and should have been a beautiful picture of your DD...
I hope I don't come over as hyper-critical, or mean - but this is a dream picture for an opthalmologist: a picture of an EYE...
You could caption this as MY YOUNGEST DAUGHTER'S RIGHT EYE...
Only my opinion - but I *do* think that narrow DOF is over-used and over-advocated... At f1.8 the DOF is close to only an INCH depth...
Maybe narrow DOF pictures have "artistic merit" - I dunno...
I think what I'm saying is (in plain terms) - Is this a picture of a child's face - or a child's eye..? What is the SUBJECT..?
Jedo

Attachments

• $Untitled-1.jpg
    $Untitled-1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 69
  • $Untitled-2.jpg
    $Untitled-2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 92
  • $Untitled-3.jpg
    $Untitled-3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 70
  • $Untitled-4.jpg