My nephew - photoshop

ShaneF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Playing around in photo shop today, what do you think?

before

after

just trying different things and experimenting. why do things the same way everyone else does? thats no fun :)

The editing...eh. No. I would just not do this. Though you may find one day where selective coloring works, this wasn't the day... and it usually never is.

Watch your crop. It's not a horrible thing to cut a little off the top of the head, but he's missing almost the whole thing. Also, chopping the chin is something that's pretty much considered always "wrong." As with selective color, it may work in 1 out of a billion photos, but not in this one.

Thanks jowen, its nice to get feedback as to why it did not work as to.... it just did not work.

just trying different things and experimenting. why do things the same way everyone else does? thats no fun :)

Is that like poking a sharp stick in your eye, just to be different.. nobody does that, right? There are reasons that some things are not done.. they can have a negative impact on the image. You might want to read up on composition... then you will have an understanding of at least some of the basic guidelines.

10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad

I give you credit for trying, it's good practice. Slight bit of criticism lower your brush size around detailed areas, you can still see bits of his left ear you chopped off.

Thanks jowen, its nice to get feedback as to why it did not work as to.... it just did not work.
Lucky for you no one before you posted this only said "it just did not work".
Lew explained first why he thought it didn't work - The human eye is drawn to color. In the case of your edit the background is where the color is, though it seems obvious your intended main subject was the boy.

Also, we have moved the thread to the forum for editing C&C.

I like it but pull the crop out a bit. I think the background tells a story...looks like a fun summer day. I wouldn't crop all that out. Plus, his messy reddish mouth from eating whatever that is, is lost after the photoshop. :mrgreen: I would play with the saturation or play with color changes, but this is one shot best left in color. Just my opinion only.

as an aside, you captured an adorable expression on his face! I would make sure that if u edit, u don't modify that.

Last edited:
Doing something just to do it often is counterproductive.

Getting better at photography means learning to look at your pictures objectively and understand what you see and why or why not they might be successful.

If you try something and then wait for someone to tell you why it is right or wrong, effective or not, you will never grow enough to be any good.

When I asked you why you made the background blue and the head B&W, that was a cue for you to actually start thinking about what you were doing and look at the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back