What's new

my never ending struggle

afoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
253
Reaction score
148
Location
Vancouver BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my never ending struggle.... the vertical or the horizontal?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
c&c please :) which do you prefer? and any other thoughts as well.

while i was shooting all i was thinking was "man i wish i could get more rocks in the foreground" only to get home and realize i was shooting at 25mm instead of 16mm :( oh the learning curve, at least i didn't get my 10 stop filter stuck on my lens today :D

3 minute exposures, 10 stop filter, and a 0.9 soft grad for the sky.


mb by hippy_henna, on Flickr


mb2 by hippy_henna, on Flickr
 
hey everyone, just curious what the policy is on commenting on your own post to get it back to the top if your still looking for some comments?
 
Hard to choose. In principle I would prefer the vertical version, but a couple of details make it less perfect: the cropped stone on left, and the slight thicker horizon line on the extreme left (not sure I'm clear: the bush line becomes taller just on the left image border, so it seems cut).

Sooner or later I have to try long exposure too :) .
 
The only thing I don't like about the vertical one is that the rocks at the bottom are noticeably lighter than the rest of them, which makes them a little distracting, so I'd go with the horizontal one.
 
I like the portrait version better; but it's more a matter of taste than artistic critique. I don't mind the cropped rock as much, but I like seeing more reflections on the water as #1 shows...
 
Between these two shots I prefer the horizontal shot. To me, the interest is in the sky. The rocks add to the image but aren't enough to carry it. Very nice work. I've been enjoying your posts.
 
Look about equal to me. The forground in each are not ideal.
The horizontal had more chance of being a wow photo than the vertical.
The strongest aspect of the photos is the sky color and reflection, these are showcased more in the horizontal.
The foreground element does not really add anything cool to the photo and it takes away from the important aspects.
 
thanks of the critiques! everyones comments have been very helpful :)
 
OrionsByte said:
The only thing I don't like about the vertical one is that the rocks at the bottom are noticeably lighter than the rest of them, which makes them a little distracting, so I'd go with the horizontal one.

^+ 1
You are very talented!
 
Honestly, I think both of them work. I could see these being part of a photo series hung together on a wall... Maybe something that would work with a square crop? Are you shooting at twilight to get the 3 minute exposure? My only gripe is that the horizon looks a bit tilted in the first one.

Nice job, you do good work.
 
hey everyone, just curious what the policy is on commenting on your own post to get it back to the top if your still looking for some comments?

A "bump" after two full days seems okay to me,actually. As to the landscapes--the horizontal one is my preferred one. I think the sky is the major "draw" in the scene, and the horizontal shot shows more sky. The vertical shot just doesn't work as well.
 
hey everyone, just curious what the policy is on commenting on your own post to get it back to the top if your still looking for some comments?

A "bump" after two full days seems okay to me,actually. As to the landscapes--the horizontal one is my preferred one.

thanks derrel! and thanks everyone else for the comments!
 
I like the horizontal one better. The lines going across the sky seem to lead the picture sideways, and you get to see more of it than in the vertical crop.
 
The foreground rocks in picture 2 just aren't a strong enough draw to warrant a vertical presentation. Picture 1 clearly uses the sky as it's major subject which is strong and vibrant. The rocks become just a supporting player to your composition. Both are really well exposed and processed.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom