What's new

My new love!

mjhoward

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
2,014
Reaction score
414
Location
Bowling Green, KY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just picked up the Tokina 50-135 f2.8 and I LOVE this lens! For anyone unfamiliar with this lens, as I was, this puppy is SHARP. Even wide open it is pretty sharp. And just like all the other Tokina's, it is built like a tank and have the, in my opinion, ingenious MF/AF clutch. On the DX it has similar FOV to the 70-200. Initial shots indicate that bokeh is creamy but I've yet to really put it through the wringer since I just recieved it this afternoon.

6145823802_087374831a_b.jpg


6145274763_a370dbbf5f_b.jpg


6145824498_ddb96949c6_b.jpg


A couple of dinky test shots at f/2.8 (please note on the crops that this is the edge, the center is actually quite sharp wide open)

65mm:
6145821232_80a89074af_b.jpg

100% Crop:
6145293495_2369e803f4_b.jpg


100mm:
6145823288_8f97ec3572_b.jpg

100% Crop:
6145293685_f11896b890_b.jpg


135mm:
6145822266_82f44743d9_b.jpg

100% Crop:
6145293791_f9e560fe83_b.jpg


I took all these handheld so it is possible that I may have slightly missed focus on my mark of the red cap, but this should give some kind of real world feedback. Anyway, enjoy!
 
That is one beautifully styled lens!!!! I LOVE the look of it! The cosmetics are just lovely. Congrats!

I have a fairly uncommon lens, the Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 constant-aperture manual focus lens made in one production run during the early 1980's...it never was popular...price was about $600 back then, making it more-expensive than a flagship body...but the focal length range of 50mm on the "bottom end" is actually REALLY handy for outdoor events!! So,so much handier than a 70-200 for many things. The difference between 50mm and 70mm might not seem significant on-paper, but in the real world, the angular view difference is quite large.
 
Derrel, it's hard sometimes to tell when you're being facetious. Either way, I too enjoy the cosmetics of the lens. :lol:

I do rather like how compact it is though, it's under 5-1/2" long and not too heavy. I was a bit more concerned with the performance of the lens though. What initially drew me to it was that it provided a similar FOV on my D7000 as the 70-200 does on an FX sensor. After researching for a while, everything I had read about the lens indicated that it was a solid performer... sharp wide open, a little soft on the edges wide open @50 and 135mm (common) and a very pleasing bokeh. My only concern at that point was CA but the only time i've even noticed it since I've gotten the lens was a little on 135mm@f/2.8. Stopped down to f/4 and it's tack sharp and distortions are very well controlled. IMO, this lens is a bargain.
 
I'M BEING SERIOUS. It's a beautifully-designed lens. I like the styling of it...everything about it looks sleek, modern, simple, elegant. The AF/MF clutch system Tokina has developed is pretty cool; I have owned two Tokina ATX-series zooms that used it, and it was always a very handy system when used on a Nikon body. 50,60,85,105,135...lots of standardized focal lengths all contained within one fairly small tube...constant aperture across the zoom range...affordable price...there's a lot to like.
 
I know I'm showing my ignorance of Tokina products, but is this lens no longer made? I couldn't find it on B&H or Adorama.

Still available here in the UK, currently around £650 ($1025). The AF / MF clutch is a bit of a marmite job - people either love it or hate it, sadly i'm in the latter category! Can't really put my finger on it, but i've never really been a Tokina fan, though they have come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Shots look good tho.
 
Yea, in the US it is discontinued. But I've seen a few used ones in great shape up for sale. I picked this one up for $570 shipped.

pefnolderoldo, I can understand some people not liking the AF/MF switch. One of the biggest reasons I like it is that I don't have to take my eye off the viewfinder to make the switch, just slide it back or forward. Im not real familiar with older Tokina's, but of the 4 I have, I think they are excellent performers and built like tanks! I was blown away with the first one I bought (11-16) and from then on I just had a marriage with Tokina and havn't been dissappointed yet.
 
Yea, in the US it is discontinued. But I've seen a few used ones in great shape up for sale. I picked this one up for $570 shipped.

pefnolderoldo, I can understand some people not liking the AF/MF switch. One of the biggest reasons I like it is that I don't have to take my eye off the viewfinder to make the switch, just slide it back or forward. Im not real familiar with older Tokina's, but of the 4 I have, I think they are excellent performers and built like tanks! I was blown away with the first one I bought (11-16) and from then on I just had a marriage with Tokina and havn't been dissappointed yet.

That is a sweet lens! Love that range. I use to use a 35-135 Tokina back in film days on my OM4.. one of my favorite lenses of all time! I also love the AF/MF switch design.. since they do that on my Tokina 100... just makes sense! :)
 
Yea, in the US it is discontinued. But I've seen a few used ones in great shape up for sale. I picked this one up for $570 shipped.

pefnolderoldo, I can understand some people not liking the AF/MF switch. One of the biggest reasons I like it is that I don't have to take my eye off the viewfinder to make the switch, just slide it back or forward. Im not real familiar with older Tokina's, but of the 4 I have, I think they are excellent performers and built like tanks! I was blown away with the first one I bought (11-16) and from then on I just had a marriage with Tokina and havn't been dissappointed yet.

I'm certainly with you on the build quality - they are definitely well put together, almost as well as Canon. Yeah, I keep hearing good things about them, but I just can't get into the Tokina groove - think it's mostly down to the clutch set up. Most of my lenses are Canon with 2 Sigmas, and I just couldn't see myself going to another brand somehow. Do like that focal range tho, if only Canon would do an L in that i'd be happy!
 
STOP IT! people as saving for a D7000 and have my D90 up fer sale. But only been nibbles and looking at lenses also. As my favorite walkabout range is my 55-200vr cheapy and it is starting to complain and becoming lethargic. Have the 70-300vr for sports,wildlife but to large and obtrusive for walkabout. And my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a winner but many times too wide for most of my shooting. And finding the 50-200 range the sweet spot for me. And perfect would be a 35-200 f2.8 or f4 in same small package. I know keep dreaming.

And then you tempt me with a Sweet Lens! and f2.8 to Boot! tho would prefer to 200mm. But all kidding aside great lens and hope it brings you great Images!
.
 
And then you tempt me with a Sweet Lens! and f2.8 to Boot! tho would prefer to 200mm. But all kidding aside great lens and hope it brings you great Images!

Oh you are in luck... there are several different 80-200 f/2.8 lenses out there that are very affordable, much less expensive than the 70-200's out there. They're larger lenses though. If you struggle with the 70-300 being too big for walkaround... you aren't gonna like the 80-200.
 
I don't struggle with the 70-300vr and had a 80-200 f2.8 AF-D two-ring and 1.4x. It's just their not what I would call walkabout lenses. It is about smaller less obtrusive lenses that don't grab attention. As my "Big Bertha" 80-200 did. Sometimes the wrong kind of attention. And then yep the weight or bulk if not carrying a bag. As walkabouts for me where Black Rapid strap and camera with mounted lens and that's it. Unless going out for a specific type shooting then bag with additional lenses. But for just walkabouts like to keep it slim & light as possible.
.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom