My new Pentax

A local shop told me they wouldn't be able to repair it. Something about the part causing the shutter to sometimes stick not being available to him. It's currently on the way to the guys at camerarepair.com, who I saw some good reviews and even a recommendation here on TPF for, so we'll see what they say :) I can't wait to shoot with it.

Thanks guys.

That's a beautiful camera. I'll look forward to seeing pics if you post some!

Camerarepair.com is actually essex camera repair in NJ (I used to work in the area). No worries, they'll treat your camera well. I've been going to them for years with all/most of my vintage camera repairs... expensive Leica stuff too.

I have always dealt with them locally so I can't comment on how quick they are to ship.

Camerarepair.com is actually essex camera repair in NJ (I used to work in the area). No worries, they'll treat your camera well. I've been going to them for years with all/most of my vintage camera repairs... expensive Leica stuff too.

I have always dealt with them locally so I can't comment on how quick they are to ship.
Good to hear. I actually noticed the two places were one in the same while researching repair places. I had also found a recommendation/good word for them in a search on here.

They were quick to get an estimate to me after receiving it (same or next day), as well as quick to start the repairs after I authorized. The repairs have been "in progress" since about 4/2 now. It's been a smooth process so far and I can't wait to get it back to shoot with.

I had also found a recommendation/good word for them in a search on here.

Probably from me... :)

I was in a tough situation at one point. I dropped and damaged a Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 which IS the most complicated lens made by Leica. Leica NJ refused to touch the repair and recommended sending it to Solms, Germany for a huge price. I said, what the heck do I have too lose and drove it to Essex Camera. They fixed it for under $300!!!!

The place is a hole-in-the-wall run by a handful old chinese guys.... surrounded by shelves of parts and cameras. The old guy handed the lens to me and said in his broken english: "No Drop.. Very Very Expensive!"

Just to give you an idea of the complexity of the lens:

http://silverbased.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/tri-elmar490.jpg[IMG]

From [url=http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/06/gallery-of-cut/]Gallery of Sawn-In-Half Cameras | Gadget Lab | Wired.com[/url]

I had also found a recommendation/good word for them in a search on here.

Probably from me... :)

I was in a tough situation at one point. I dropped and damaged a Leica Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 which IS the most complicated lens made by Leica. Leica NJ refused to touch the repair and recommended sending it to Solms, Germany for a huge price. I said, what the heck do I have too lose and drove it to Essex Camera. They fixed it for under $300!!!!

The place is a hole-in-the-wall run by a handful old chinese guys.... surrounded by shelves of parts and cameras. The old guy handed the lens to me and said in his broken english: "No Drop.. Very Very Expensive!"

Just to give you an idea of the complexity of the lens:

tri-elmar490.jpg

From Gallery of Sawn-In-Half Cameras | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Wow! Even more reassurance of their work, thanks :) Very cool link too!

I might post some updated pictures with it all cleaned up when I get it back, too. I'll certainly have to post some pictures taken with the camera once I can get anything decent.

I've shot with one of these and it was a nice experience. I took some great pics that camera.

I'm not sure if they will actually make me go back and do the film processing side of things or not when I finally get back to school. Depends upon which school I finally end up in, I guess. The design school I was at before I had to quit they didn't even do film anymore. I'm told the one here still does though and that I might actually need a film camera.

If I do I'm going to grab a Pentax, the ubiquitous K1000 I guess. They're fairly easy to get locally. Cheap too. People here are dumping them for $50-100 a kit complete with some lenses. Definitely a bargain and I'd prefer a Pentax of some kind anyhow. I liked the Spotmatic I used. It felt good in my hands, comfortable.

FYI, there's an excellent book out there though called The Pentax Way that is an old bible for those old Spotmatic type cameras. I've read it, came with the camera I got to use, and I think it's terrific. If I get a Pentax I definitely want that book to go with it. It's out of print, but well worth the buy if you can get your hands on one.

Update: They WERE dumping them for that. Apparently not so much lately. I went looking locally and they're quite a bit more for some reason all of a sudden. The local colleges with film labs want $350 for one cleaned and ready to go and finding one in nice condition locally has gotten tougher. They've really jumped price-wise in the last month or two. I went to look because I was pondering a K1000 and I was a bit stunned at the asking prices some of these. I'm guessing they've actually gotten to be more of a collector's camera? Used to be the K1000's were cheap and it was a lot of student's first SLR camera around here.

Some of them are priced 3X as much as I saw them only 6 months ago, seriously. Made me think twice about acquiring one. Between that and clean up I might have to pay as much as for a used DSLR just for a K1000? I thought I might want one, but now I'm just not so sure. I think maybe I'd be smarter just to save my money for my K-series digital. I was thinking of getting both and maybe doing more film shooting, never have done much of that, but I just don't know now...

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back