My new system.....

Hoser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After my system crashed on me last Sunday I ordered a new one and the stuff came in today. Here she is in her (almost) finished glory. I just need to do some cable management and get the OS loaded and I'll be good to go.

stuff018.jpg

If anyone's interested here's the specs.....

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Gemini II
Motherboard - ASUS P6T WS Professional
RAM - 6GB Corsair XMS3 Dominator[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDD's - 1-74 GB Raptor (taken from another system)
1-640GB Western Digital
Sound - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme (pci express)
Video - ASUS EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight
Optical - LG SATA DVD writer
PSU - Waiting on a 1KW PC Power & Cooling unit, but I've got a 500w Cooler Master one in there for now just so I can get the OS loaded.
Case - Antec 900

I figure with a little coaxing I should be able to get this rig to hit 3.4GHz easily. We'll see what happens next week. I wanna make sure it's stable first.
[/FONT]

What OS are you considering for this monster ?

Going to dual boot Vista Home Premium (64 bit) and W7 (once I get around to getting the release candidate).

Nice system, I've seen other cases with the power supply on the bottom, seems like the system would stay cooler with it on top.

Not necessarily. With the PSU on the bottom it can pull the heat from the video card out easier, and the top mounted 200mm fan can throw out the heat from the CPU heatsink.

Here's the top of the case
stuff.jpg

I'm installing Vista on it later this afternoon/tonight after I finish up some homework and get back from my in-laws.

I've been running Vista since 2 weeks after release. Once I disabled the stupid UAC I never had any problems. I think I'm one of the few that haven't had problems.

I played around with the first few beta releases of W7 and I liked it, so I'm sure I'll like the RC's.

I'll concur about the PSU on the bottom thing. I just think it's better design! The way the fan blows, all the heat from the PSU gets blown straight out the back, and the big fan on top keeps the column of warm air moving out.

Plus, it just makes the case easier to get around. Congrats on the new rig!

Slightly off topic:

Did your context menu start taking a very long time to open after you installed the nVIDIA drivers on 7? I just upgraded to the 7 RC today, and while nearly everything about it is even better, my context menu (only on the desktop) takes forever! My theory is that nVIDIA's context menu handler is poorly coded for the new OS, and so any context menu that has "NVIDIA Control Panel" in it will be affected.

Yeah the desktop context took a little extra time, but nothing too bad. I think having 6GB of memory helped, but I think there might be a memory leak in there somewhere. For some reason I see that on boot up I'm using almost 3.6GB just before start-up finishes and never really drops down below 3GB. Nothing listed is really hogging resources, so I sent the info to Microsoft. Maybe this will get recognized as a problem with some of the OS's coding and I'll snag a free copy of W7 when it goes public.
With my luck it's probably something on my end and I won't get squat.:grumpy:

Yeah the desktop context took a little extra time, but nothing too bad. I think having 6GB of memory helped, but I think there might be a memory leak in there somewhere. For some reason I see that on boot up I'm using almost 3.6GB just before start-up finishes and never really drops down below 3GB. Nothing listed is really hogging resources, so I sent the info to Microsoft. Maybe this will get recognized as a problem with some of the OS's coding and I'll snag a free copy of W7 when it goes public.
With my luck it's probably something on my end and I won't get squat.:grumpy:

Nah, it's not the 6GB :p

I have 8.

:lol:

Nice build, I'll throw the one I built a month ago on here when I get home tonight.

Nah, it's not the 6GB :p

I have 8.

:lol:

Touche ;)

What does your memory usage look like on boot-up? I'm thinking I might re-install everything just to see if I borked something.

Did the new PSU arrive yet? I didn't know they still make psu's that does not have hte mesh/techflex over it. I hate it when its bare like that, makes it look ridiculously messy! The new computer looks like a BEAST though, also looks LOUDDD!

The new PSU came in yesterday and is running like a champ.

quakeroatmeal - It's not too loud at all. The fans on the front and top are running on 7v instead of 12v, and the 2 fans on the CPU cooler are Enermax Twisters. They're really quite quiet.

I'm quite pleased with it so far. Haven't run Mathematica or SuperPi yet, but I think I'll be happy with the numbers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back