My old Camera - 2 for C&C

hartz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are two of my favourite photos from my old camera, the Fuji Finepix S5500. Only PP I did was some minor cropping, contrast/brightness/white balance adjustments.

For the surfer shot I wish I had my new camera because the Fuji S5500 can not shoot RAW continuously.

For the bridge shot I tried a lot of bracketing to try and get detail in the shadow without blowing anything out. I tried to capture the majestic size and the hard straight lines. I am actually quite happy with how it came out, but would love ideas on how to do it better.

Since this was something I saw "on the road" while traveling I did not have much choice in time of day, and since most of the land is private land my angle choices were also rather limited.

bridge.JPG

I took hundreds of photos of the surfer in different positions, with the sail in the center, with the surfer in the center, with the surfer and sail spread out, with the surfer "in the sun", etc. Of all of them I think this is probably the best one. I strugled to try and capture the colors of the Sunset, the colors of the kite, the detail in the clouds and the surfer silhouette sharply. Comments/recommendations on how to shoot this type of scene photo for next time would be very helpful.

sunset_surfer.JPG

Thank you
_hartz

#1 is an interesting shot, but could use a bit more contrast. Also, I would have liked it better if the top of the bridge entered the frame at the very corner (just a little cropping).

#2 is a very nice shot. You might want to crop some of the dead space off the right side, however.

Very good shots. :thumbup:

love the second shot, would like it better without the flyer and less noise

sunsetsurfer.jpg

Last edited:
Good exposure(s). I like the first one a lot.

Now hes holding an imaginary handle? The sail adds so much to the photo and you took it away. hmmm

Well, I can clone him out too, but he is dark so is almost unnoticeable. Or maybe he is just a surfer huh..

How about correcting the horizon before worrying about cloning removal?

DanFinePhotography ... Thank you. What do you mean Cropping Out?

LCARSx32 ... Thanx, and I know what you mean about the corner. I tried it but the photo lost too much when it lost the right-most support. About cropping #2 ... Maybe. Not too much, it loses the feeling of speed very quickly when I do that.

The surfer was moving fast and I had to litterally RUN down the beach, frame, adjust, wait for him to enter a spot, shoot, repeat cycle.

I actualy think I should have been a little further away (back from the beach, on the sidewalk), with a bicycle to move fast enough to the next spot, but the sidewalk is an elevated about a meter above the beach, which means the angle would have changed - I'd be shooting more from above. I don't have a clue as to whether that would have worked for or against the shot.

There was so much to try to capture - the surfer detail, the detail in the wing, the colors, the clouds, the speed.

Have I mentioned yet that I was freezing my butt off!?

Thanx all for the compliments - I loved taking both of these photos and realy expected much harsher criticism!

Re all the cloning-out and removal of unwanted artifacts ... Hee hee hee... My photo just got mutilated!

DanFinePhotography ... Thank you. What do you mean Cropping Out?

LCARSx32 ... Thanx, and I know what you mean about the corner. I tried it but the photo lost too much when it lost the right-most support. About cropping #2 ... Maybe. Not too much, it loses the feeling of speed very quickly when I do that.

The surfer was moving fast and I had to litterally RUN down the beach, frame, adjust, wait for him to enter a spot, shoot, repeat cycle.

I actualy think I should have been a little further away (back from the beach, on the sidewalk), with a bicycle to move fast enough to the next spot, but the sidewalk is an elevated about a meter above the beach, which means the angle would have changed - I'd be shooting more from above. I don't have a clue as to whether that would have worked for or against the shot.

There was so much to try to capture - the surfer detail, the detail in the wing, the colors, the clouds, the speed.

Have I mentioned yet that I was freezing my butt off!?

Thanx all for the compliments - I loved taking both of these photos and realy expected much harsher criticism!

Re all the cloning-out and removal of unwanted artifacts ... Hee hee hee... My photo just got mutilated!

Cropping out just meaning either one of two things. #1 either standing farther back or zooming out farther with the lens. or, if you crop in Photoshop just not cropping so tightly meaning crop the photo as if you were standing farther away or zooming out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back