My oldest daughter

FranDaMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a shot my wife took of my oldest daughter.
We were planning to shoot with flash but decided that it would be better do just use natural light coming in from a window on the left of her.

Camera Canon EOS 550D
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 44 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Breanna by Francis de Beus, on Flickr

What do you think of the lighting ?
Post processing ok ?
Next time, I would remove that piece of her hair that covers her one eye, but she thinks it's cool ;)

I like this shot. I wouldn't worry about the hair, though, because the falling lock is natural, as much as taking a picture of someone moving or walking. I'm one who tends to favor a higher amount of red in the skin, but you made the white very pleasing to the eye! :thumbup: How did you get the all-white background?

Did you use a reflector to put some detail into the hair on her left side? Without flash, how did you get the perfect white background? The light has a nice fall off over the face with good detail in the shadow side. The key light (natural light in this case) removes detail from the nose, which kind of merges into the cheek.

The all white background is another window. We have a curtain in front of it but the sun basically blew it out. Makes for a perfect background. Also, it reflects a bit of light back on her hair so we didn't even use a reflector there.

Thanx Derrel !

We were pretty happy with it to be honest.

Common People, some C&C would be nice.

FIrst, congrats on a very pretty young woman.

I think it's a decent portrait, but the pose and angle are a bit blah. The lighting is ok (slightly flat ratio). The eyes have a lot of whtie in them (meaning, the position toward the camera) and the hair in the eye almost kills it. Camera height is a bit high for a typical portrait. Processing seems excessive (face doesn't match neck area). She's a bit square to the camera. Shoulders are square (I can almost "feel" her arms lying straight by her side in this).

Just a few thoughts

Most reactions

Back