My photos are NOT OK to edit.

LaFoto - My apologies, this post does look better suited to this forum. Also, you may remember this quote, "Well, to be quite open and frank I often get the feeling, mostly so in The Critique Forum, that those who just go about changing someone else's photo and thus adapting it to their own tastes actually don't offer any help at all, they mess with someone else's work."

It is this kind of mentality that people use to put creative handicaps on themselves. It is very helpful for someone else to put their personal spin on an image, in order to help you see a photographic world outside your own. It really does offer help, but some choose not to see it. I believe this falls under the second half of number three.

Then by all means do so in words. Why not? Why not force yourself to think so much that you have to find the WORDS to describe what you would think makes the photo a better one? There is NOTHING wrong with critique, to my mind, nor with learning from it, and if you had known me from when I first joined this forum until know, you would SEE that I learned, and HEAPS, although (!) I am "old" in your book (!!!), and in a time when the NOTE and OTE thing was not even invented and by default photos on here were NOTE, by default!, so posters had to THINK, make up their own mind on something, and find their own WORDS to describe and help, via text, not via editing someone else's work.

We have the Photoshop Challenges here, a much neglected sub-forum, which is where people are very invited to post those photos they feel would need some pp treatment that they cannot bring about, either because they are still too new to PS or something similar, or don't even HAVE the kind of software ... no one ever goes there, though.

I prefer to (still, even in my old age!) learn by doing, not by getting things done by others.

Ok, ok, ok . . . so I am 41 years young. Am I in the old group that everyone is talking about?

Go ahead. Give it to me straight. I can take it. Go on . . .

Just to be clear, I don't mean "old" by any number of age, but by thought process. Also, you must admit, things don't get conveyed the same with text!

lol, good job keeping it light, I started replying a while ago myself!

Also, I would like to hear a logical reason, but if you consider your reasons private, I certainly respect that. There are too many variables in the world for me to think it's impossible to have a good reason, I just can't think of any...

Well, if you're really receptive to learning, you'll learn that there are some very good private/personal reasons too.

Cedew, I got ya. I was just trying to interject some fun to lighten up the debate.

These pro-choice debates always end up this way.:sexywink:

There is nothing wrong with accepting a good, constructive criticism from your fellow photographers. There is much to be learned that way. Much more than having your photos edited in ways that, perhaps, you don't agree with. Such is the case with one's personal choice of shooting in color and having someone else edit it, say, turn it into a B/W picture. Has that editing person made a difference in the author's mind? No.

Now, if someone says to the author "Well... I think it's over (or under) exposed, maybe you can bring out the blah, blah, blah..." and giving a constructive criticism, that author will definitely think about it and try it. More so than seeing his picture(s) altered, I mean edited by someone else. Am I making sense?

Cedew, I got ya. I was just trying to interject some fun to lighten up the debate.

These pro-choice debates always end up this way.:sexywink:

Ah no worries, it's all in good fun. Nothing written in a forum should get anyone too worked up. I don't really mean it quite as mean as it sounds, but I do stand by my original post.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a good, constructive criticism from your fellow photographers. There is much to be learned that way. Much more than having your photos edited in ways that, perhaps, you don't agree with. Such is the case with one's personal choice of shooting in color and having someone else edit it, say, turn it into a B/W picture. Has that editing person made a difference in the author's mind? No.

Now, if someone says to the author "Well... I think it's over (or under) exposed, maybe you can bring out the blah, blah, blah..." and giving a constructive criticism, that author will definitely think about it and try it. More so than seeing his picture(s) altered, I mean edited by someone else. Am I making sense?

I personally think people can convey something better by showing, than by explaining. I think the color/b&w thing may be a bad reference. If I say, "Mitica, you should try converting this one to b&w", and you have planned this image from the start to be in color, you probably wouldn't give it a chance. Also, what if you're no good at b&w conversions, and you DO give it a try but it's super flat. I think you would benefit from seeing it, as opposed to reading it. Also, you can just reply something like, "oh hey, thats neat", and go on about your business if you don't like it right?

As for receiving specific constructive criticism, I think you're right, that helps as well. But, why limit yourself to only one type of criticism? BTW, you are making sense, I just think you're putting a cap on the feedback. Like saying, I will take a little advice...but not too much.

Then there are the people like me, who have no designation because I don't know how to choose one. Or do I have one that I can't see? Now I feel like an idiot.

interesting...

As LaFoto said...didn't we already have this discussion? :scratch:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78474

I didn't see anything in there that covered it very well. Just the one person who changed it to "NOT OK" because someone posted their photo in DA...not that anyone has any control over that.

Then there are the people like me, who have no designation because I don't know how to choose one. Or do I have one that I can't see? Now I feel like an idiot.

interesting...

You have a neutral appearance, and don't look like an idiot from my chair.

I post to share my work.
Like an exhibition of my work.
My photos are not ok to edit, as my paintings would not be ok to edit in an exhibition.
imagine somebody walking around with a paint brush and changing my paintings.
Well I feel the same about my photos.

No offence, but I'm not here to learn by having other people change my work. If you think there's something wrong with my photo, then tell me.
I go to college/uni studying photography to have my lecturers rip my work to pieces. (they're not that bad actually)

So I'm sorry if you cannot comprehend that some people do not want other people to edit their work.

Welcome to TPF and we respect your thoughts for sure.

Personally I feel your post is heading in the wrong direction. Your post is not based in fact. We are lovers of photography. Generally on this forum we participate as opposed to passing judgement. If you are unhappy with the guidelines take it somewhere else.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back