What's new

My recent photos

I encourage you to stick with TPF. I know that when you first get here, it can be overwhelming and intimidating if not downright insulting. BUT, if you are truly interested in improving your work, stick around. This isn't a forum where you can post something and get lots of praise. Those places have a purpose, but that isn't ours. Our purpose is to give honest and sometimes harsh critique. Your friends and family will always tell you that your work is great. They will never look at it with a critical eye and say "hey that could use some fill light" or "maybe you should try re-shooting that at sunset". If you can't listen with an open mind to harsh critique you will never improve. And just because some shots get a lot of critique does not mean that you have no skill... everyone has room for improvement. I feel like I have improved in the short time on here and it hasn't been all sunshine and roses for me either. Trust me, if you listen to some people here, you will find your work getting better with every shot.
 
Wow, interesting group to assume I would think anyone would steal photos? I think the only thing that needs to be worked on is the attitude for so called "critique". Actually misses "needs thicker skin" does not have a lot of nice things to say about anyone's photos judging by your posts so many assumptions and judgements, this forum is pretty ruined by so I'm going to the better one. The attitude gives off more amateur and snottyness than any other

I actually have had a lot of nice things to say about many photos here. Yours didn't happen to fit my criteria for praise. Like I said I'm not a professional, nor was my comment meant to offend you. Only to make you aware that you posted a photo on a forum for "general critique" then got upset when people commented in a way you didn't like. Hence the suggestion for thicker skin. I'm not a "misses" either. You shouldn't assume anything... Unless of course you are assuming someone has put an image ruining watermark on their photos because they fear someone will steal them.

I also feel that just about everyone on this forum can use help or criticism from time to time. Sometimes our personal circles make us feel like we are better photographers than what we actually are. When exposed to others who don't know us on a personal level, our photos are judged on a personal reaction to the photo alone, and not a personal connection with the person who took it. Critique is only meant to help, and while sometimes a kudos can do that, oftentimes a criticism can help more.

Obviously you were hoping for that same glowing praise you get from others in your life. When you didn't get it, you claimed we are snotty and rude and to just "take it easy". If you react like this to well intentioned comments from strangers, you will need thicker skin if you decide to take money from customers if they are not happy with your work.
 
#1..A fairly typical "path shot". Dull colors, horizon in middle of photo. Any possible emotional reaction to a type of photo that typically relies on evoking one, is ruined by the watermark.

#2. A silhouette taken in mid day light, of two fairly uninteresting trees, that includes a trash can and uninteresting sky. The watermark may actually be the most interesting part of this image.

#3. A poorly composed photo of a bee on a flower, that is very dull and lifeless, possibly contributed to by to poor lighting conditions or lack of proper post processing. Watermark not as distracting in this one.

I hope you take my comments as helpful, not as offensive. If you believe none of these have any merit, I'm just picking on you or think your photography is as good as it needs to be, then don't let me change your mind and i won't bother with giving you my unwanted Opinion in the future. It's only my opinion and certainly not a professional one at that.
 
I think the only thing that needs to be worked on is the attitude for so called "critique".

A good critique looks at the image presented as a whole. Anything included in the image wether natural or artificially places can be a distraction to the image. I have even seen small watermarks distract the viewer and draw all the attention.
 
Wow. And she lasted almost six hours, too.

As others have said, the watermarks are horrible. They're amateurish. Either capitalize all three words or none of them. Try throwing a dash of style on it, as well.

The photos are, well, photos. There's nothing about them which makes them stand out. There's nothing about them which makes me want to do a double-take.

Pity she got her panties in a twist...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom