My submission -- Any tips or thoughts?

DerekSalem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so awhile back I asked the forum to check out a Set I made on Flickr for my visit to the Cleveland Metropolitan Zoo. There's a photography contest that I'm entering into and I needed some advice on what picture to choose. I chose that picture and did a bit of editing (almost all just levels and sharpening) and this is what I came up with. Any thoughts on the picture, different ways to edit it, or even thoughts on whether it's sharp enough?

The picture was taken with a T2i and 70-200 f/4L. Settings are 1/125, f/4, and ISO1600 (taken at 116mm). Despite the equipment I constantly believe my pictures are not as sharp as they should be. I love this lens and I love this body, but my pictures don't quite come out as sharp as some others using the same level equipment. Any ideas if there's something wrong with either my lens or body or if this is what I should be expecting?

Original:
4524556496_7fc452e89e_b.jpg

Edited:
4598150452_189d5cf7d5_b.jpg

First thing I'd do is crop the top a little. Too much dead space up there.

Second, as for sharpness, don't be afraid to unsharp mask it a little, that usually helps quite a bit.

Cool photo, though.

Derek
Your edit looks pretty good on my screen. Maybe change the dof a little if you are looking to get the back legs (more of the subject) in focus.

good edit KMH but to Derek great picture have anymore?

good edit KMH but to Derek great picture have anymore?

Have 2-4 of that specific animal on my Flickr but took a good 100+ I think at that visit to the zoo.

Thanks for the awesome edit KmH. I'll crop it down and try it all out in a little bit.

Did another edit and this is how it came out. Not sure if it's perfect but at least I think it looks better than it did. Any other suggestions all?

4599701010_6cb02f9b7c_b.jpg

And sorry, had to delete the first edit from Flickr because for some reason it wouldn't let me upload another (even though I had a different name, different tags, etc...)

This happens to me every once in awhile. Won't let me upload anything at all until I delete the last picture I uploaded. Can't use the Flickr Uploadr *or* the website Upload feature.

Anyway, everyone like this edit?

Most reactions

Back