My test picture

Straif

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
As a newb I want to introduce myself with my picture. It is titled "Scripps Pier" and well, it shows the Scripps Pier in La Jolla. :wink:
Black and white, because it is my hommage to the famous picture of Ansel Adams.

Straif.

1main_W1%20FTBW.jpg

P.S. I hope that the link will work.

Great work! I love how I am lead across the pier and then down to the children at play.

OOoooohhh... Ominous. I love the contrasts, and the diagonal lines. Nice!

-T

Nice shot, i think its just a tab too contrasty though. Like the pier kinda fades into a black blob and the sky underneath the clouds is too white. And it feels a little dark. (these problems maybe be one in the same)

Thank you for you comments. The picture is a little dark, but it was a sunset and shadows on the pier were really long. I concentrated on the repetitive motif of pier pillars which suppose to pull your eye to the horizon. I lost a lot of details in shadows, but it was to make this reparative motif even stronger.

This is a nice shot, but I think it's more effective if you crop the top 1/3 or so off of it. Really hightens that "moody" look. :wink:

Jim

I really like the shot, jim has the best advice I think...crop the top 1/3 out and you will loose that open spot in the top left and it really looks like impending doom.

photobug said:
This is a nice shot, but I think it's more effective if you crop the top 1/3 or so off of it. Really hightens that "moody" look. :wink:

Jim

j

Very nice. I like the photo with it current composition. Kinda of feels like such a giant things dwarfs the children but looks small in size. Sort of sureal.

Thank you again. Great suggestions. I was thinking about cropping this white spot on the top of the photo. but I was afraid that it will make it too horisonatal. Additionally, gray scale on the clauds is not-so-great, and the top part of the picture becomes a little boring.
I want to repeat this picture with a real B/W film. I am thinking about trying Ilford X2 Super. What do you think? Probably, it will give me more gray scale in the clouds and a little more detail in the shadows.
Oh, my last B/W picture was long time ago, i will see how it will work.

Most reactions

Back