My Tripod as a Walking Stick

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I went out very early this morning knowing full well there would be a lot of snow in the mountains I was driving to. I have been on the trails I was headed to, so I was familar with the area.

Lots and lots of snow, more than I expected. It transformed the landscape, and I made a wrong turn heading up the trail and was lost within the hour, of course no one around me at all. I marched, really slow walked my way up to the top, which gave me a great, no awesome view. I knew I was not really lost, all I had to do was hike downhill to the first river and hook a left, so I was not the least worried.
But... I decided to try and find the lake I was originally heading to. So I bushwacked in the direction I tought it was. As the sun came up, the temps rose. Now, instead of hiking on top of the snow, I started to crash through with every step. I got soaked from my boots up to my waist. I went about a mile this way and decided to call it a day in regards to the lake. At this point, my Monfrotto tripod was literally saving my rearend. I was shot from trying to get through the deep snow and I had at least a couple of miles to get back down the mountain. Lucky for me it was all downhill :mrgreen:
Without my tripod/walking stick, I would have suffered more than I did.

The moral of this story...get that tripod, you never know

i think i would try and break a limb off a tree before i try using my tripod as a walking stick :p

I think it sounds too expensive, I do have a actual "walking stick" with a camera mount on it. Think it was about 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of a tripod, came from REI as I recall.

Yeah, a $600 walking stick
But, when you are out in 3ft of snow and very tired, it does not matter what it cost.:mrgreen:

I will say, it held up very well and worked even better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back