My wife's pictures from Kenya

Gardyloo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife passed away a few years ago and I've been reluctant to post some of her pictures here because, well, they aren't mine. But I was looking at them recently and I think they should be seen, so I'm going to post a few from a trip she made to Kenya.

The trip was organized by a big Seattle-based NGO called PATH, who work around the world in addressing health and wellness issues, including HIV, Malaria, and of course various endemic and potentially pandemic diseases. The trip was to familiarize some of PATH's supporters and board members with the agency's work, in this case in the struggle with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.

In the course of the trip my wife became aware of a disease called Burkitt's lymphoma, the leading cause of childhood cancer mortality in Africa. Burkitt's is an extremely aggressive cancer, but is also very treatable with chemotherapy. Unfortunately the cost and logistical barriers prevent this treatment from reaching most of the victims in time to arrest the cancer's growth and save their lives.

On returning from the trip my wife set about creating a small not-for-profit organization to raise funds for medicines and diagnostic services, and to circumvent the logistical barriers, so that help could be delivered to these kids. Between 2010 and her death in 2015 over 750 kids had been treated, with the majority of their lives saved, in part through the work of this group. The work goes on. Burkitt’s Lymphoma Fund for Africa | Pediatric cancer non-profit

Anyway, here are some of her photos from her first trip.

AIDS orphans, Nairobi

Kenya2-037as.jpg

Attendees at HIV awareness street theater performance, Kisumu

Kenya4-069s.jpg

Twins at street theater event

Kenya4-053s.jpg

HIV positive prisoners, Kenyan prison

Kenya4-008s.jpg

Waiting at the clinic, near Lake Victoria

Kenya4-043a.jpg

Nursing mother counseling in cancer ward

Kenya9-071s.jpg

HIV mother-baby awareness meeting, near Kisumu

Kenya5-050a.jpg

Another mother-baby meeting

Kenya8-045s.jpg

Same meeting

Kenya5-060a.jpg

Working on the nets, Lake Victoria village where most residents are HIV positive

Kenya8-060s.jpg

Mother and children, HIV awareness meeting at the lakeside village

Kenya8-049s.jpg

Same meeting. This picture has always taken my breath away

Kenya8-059as2.jpg

Job training facility

Kenya5-009s2.jpg

President Obama's grandmother at her farm near Kisumu

Kenya8-072s.jpg

My wife passed away a few years ago and I've been reluctant to post some of her pictures here because, well, they aren't mine. But I was looking at them recently and I think they should be seen, so I'm going to post a few from a trip she made to Kenya.

The trip was organized by a big Seattle-based NGO called PATH, who work around the world in addressing health and wellness issues, including HIV, Malaria, and of course various endemic and potentially pandemic diseases. The trip was to familiarize some of PATH's supporters and board members with the agency's work, in this case in the struggle with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.

In the course of the trip my wife became aware of a disease called Burkitt's lymphoma, the leading cause of childhood cancer mortality in Africa. Burkitt's is an extremely aggressive cancer, but is also very treatable with chemotherapy. Unfortunately the cost and logistical barriers prevent this treatment from reaching most of the victims in time to arrest the cancer's growth and save their lives.

On returning from the trip my wife set about creating a small not-for-profit organization to raise funds for medicines and diagnostic services, and to circumvent the logistical barriers, so that help could be delivered to these kids. Between 2010 and her death in 2015 over 750 kids had been treated, with the majority of their lives saved, in part through the work of this group. The work goes on. Burkitt’s Lymphoma Fund for Africa | Pediatric cancer non-profit

Anyway, here are some of her photos from her first trip.

AIDS orphans, Nairobi

Kenya2-037as.jpg

Attendees at HIV awareness street theater performance, Kisumu

Kenya4-069s.jpg

Twins at street theater event

Kenya4-053s.jpg

HIV positive prisoners, Kenyan prison

Kenya4-008s.jpg

Waiting at the clinic, near Lake Victoria

Kenya4-043a.jpg

Nursing mother counseling in cancer ward

Kenya9-071s.jpg

HIV mother-baby awareness meeting, near Kisumu

Kenya5-050a.jpg

Another mother-baby meeting

Kenya8-045s.jpg

Same meeting

Kenya5-060a.jpg

Working on the nets, Lake Victoria village where most residents are HIV positive

Kenya8-060s.jpg

Mother and children, HIV awareness meeting at the lakeside village

Kenya8-049s.jpg

Same meeting. This picture has always taken my breath away

Kenya8-059as2.jpg

Job training facility

Kenya5-009s2.jpg

President Obama's grandmother at her farm near Kisumu

Kenya8-072s.jpg
Some excellent photos, and a great tribute to your wife. Thank you for sharing these.

Reactions: ntz
First off, I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a spouse is something I can't even imagine.

Second, thank you so much for opening up and sharing these. It sounds like your wife was an amazing woman and left a lasting legacy through the non-profit. It takes a special and dedicated person to start something like that and stick with it!

These photos teach an excellent lesson that many photographers could learn from: the story is far more important than the technical perfection of an image. Some of these break basic rules of photography. Some are out of focus. None are high resolution technically perfect images. And you know what? They convey more emotion and tell more of a story than 99% of the images that get posted on this website, including my own. Photography is, at it's core, a way to show others things that they cannot see for themselves. It's meant to tell a story, and these photos (especially as a set) do so beautifully.

Lots of very nice images.

What a fantastic thing your wife did and these photographs are a fitting tribute to her memory. Lovely.

She was an amazing human. What a treat to view. I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine the mourning you have endured.

Quintessential humanitarian photography. They must really miss her.. Thank you for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back