My worst shoot

It's correct! that is part of shooting a band's gig. If you wanted to push back some of the colored lights on them you could strategically place a couple of speedlights in there with the house lights set for maybe 1/4 power. The colored lights are definitely a bit heavy in this instance, but what you have captured is correct for the most part!

#3 is the best of the bunch. The first 2 look like there was either a bit too much adjustment in processing, or the jpeg compression really did a number on them. #3 looks like there's a little bit of motion blur, so 1/100 may not have been quite fast enough to shoot at. You can bump up your speed and keep your exposure by either increasing your ISO (which was already fairly high at 2000) or getting a faster lens. Since you were already at f/2.8, you'd have to get a prime such as a 50mm or 85mm. This would let you open up to f/1.8 or f/1.4 depending on the lens you chose... however this might blur out too much of the background for what you were trying to accomplish.

To see if faster shutter speed will help, I'd recommend going to another event and locking the ISO a bit higher, say 3600 if your camera allows. This will let you shoot a bit faster than 1/100. You may also want to adjust your exposure compensation if shooting in auto, that will make sure you get a bit longer exposure under those bright stage lights that your camera is probably metering off of.

#3 is the best of the bunch. The first 2 look like there was either a bit too much adjustment in processing, or the jpeg compression really did a number on them. #3 looks like there's a little bit of motion blur, so 1/100 may not have been quite fast enough to shoot at. You can bump up your speed and keep your exposure by either increasing your ISO (which was already fairly high at 2000) or getting a faster lens. Since you were already at f/2.8, you'd have to get a prime such as a 50mm or 85mm. This would let you open up to f/1.8 or f/1.4 depending on the lens you chose... however this might blur out too much of the background for what you were trying to accomplish.

To see if faster shutter speed will help, I'd recommend going to another event and locking the ISO a bit higher, say 3600 if your camera allows. This will let you shoot a bit faster than 1/100. You may also want to adjust your exposure compensation if shooting in auto, that will make sure you get a bit longer exposure under those bright stage lights that your camera is probably metering off of.

These are just 3 examples of how poor the shots were, they were shot RAW and they are untouched. They look like **** from the stage lighting. I got the same results with a 50mm 1.4

I'm a newb so I probably have no place even replying but have you considered converting them to black and white? I've taken a few images that I was about to just pitch and turned them B&W and they ended up decent.

---Chris

*Moved to People Gallery*
Please remember that Beyond the Basics is not a photo critique subsection.

desaturate and black and white. Its a crutch, I know, but sometimes necessary when learning show photography
red and blue washes are such a pain!! if at all possible, next time, have a chat with the band or the light guy asking for white light for the first three (thats what I do). Its hit or miss, but worth a shot.

Do you have any better composed shots? sometimes, getting in closer will help in dimishing the wash effect. these shots are kinda crappy looking with composition alone, i'd probably chuck them. They also seem underexposed (I know, its not a photo critique forum), which can lead to have the images overly saturated and contrasty, hence making the bad blue and red lights that much more saturated.

If the lights are moving, there are some times you can shoot during a wash where the light is diminished. keep an eye out for better shooting times.

Having access to a venue early to hang some speedlights might work, but you need to be proficient with shooting with off camera light and you limit your angles.

I do a lot of dance gigs and I hate those coloured light, too. I try to talk to lighting people but they often have different goals and concepts of what looks good... or maybe just do coloured lights because that's what they always do. I try to do the best I can with what I'm given, Lightroom helps a little but isn't the final answer. I've been thinking about mounting an off camera flash somewhere and will try that at the next opportunity, on camera flash just makes your work look like Joe Tourist's snap shots.

Those are Raw? That doesn't look right at all. I've done concerts with the lights and actually love the look they give, but they've never looked so...oversaturated? What were your settings?

desaturate and black and white. Its a crutch, I know, but sometimes necessary when learning show photography
red and blue washes are such a pain!! if at all possible, next time, have a chat with the band or the light guy asking for white light for the first three (thats what I do). Its hit or miss, but worth a shot.

Do you have any better composed shots? sometimes, getting in closer will help in dimishing the wash effect. these shots are kinda crappy looking with composition alone, i'd probably chuck them. They also seem underexposed (I know, its not a photo critique forum), which can lead to have the images overly saturated and contrasty, hence making the bad blue and red lights that much more saturated.

If the lights are moving, there are some times you can shoot during a wash where the light is diminished. keep an eye out for better shooting times.

Having access to a venue early to hang some speedlights might work, but you need to be proficient with shooting with off camera light and you limit your angles.

^^^This.

Another thing that I have done, which I hate doing, but sometimes it's needed... Is just use flash period.

I don't have the ability to hang anything anywhere, even though I come in *WITH* the band (when we're talking about my husband's band...), so in venues where there is ZERO light, or the light is just a terrible red wash, I'll use a TOUCH of flash (but I don't point the flash head AT them... even if I have it pointed straight up, and the ceiling is too high to bounce, with the diffuser cup on, some of the light will still go forward and if I dial it in just right, it's enough to wash out SOME of the color, but not ALL of it. It's definitely tricky though.

I'm learning a lot more about stuff like that now than I ever have, because my husband went from playing big clubs with a cover band we all hated, to playing crappy dive bars, with an original project we all love. :lol: So I went from ALWAYS having SOME sort of lights... to having virtually NOTHING (but at least the soundtrack is better. :biglaugh: )

I see that your images are ok to edit, so I did a few quickies. And threw in an extra crop for ****s and giggles.

Both edits in Lightroom 4

Basic black and white via desaturation. Adjusted contrast, exposure and all that jazz
crapimagebw1.jpg

Similar to the first, added some split toning, threw a tiny vignette on, played with white balance, and then again, adjusted exposure and contrast for desired flavour.
crapimageblue1.jpg

Most reactions

Back