What's new

Mysterious New England Series, Part 1

DragonMoon

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
Bristol, CT
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wasn't sure where to post these since they aren't really landscapes or cityscapes. One of the things I love most is exploring the more macabe side of life...shooting cemeteries. I love these because they convey so much imagery and feeling:

Wallingford, CT:
fathermorriss9-16.1.jpg


Westchester, CT:

westchestercemetery5-12.2alternate.jpg


Durham, CT:
durhamcemetery10-13.3.jpg


Burlington, CT (Green Lady, look it up):
greenladybird5-9.2.jpg


I have many others...I will start a separate thread...part 2!
 
Last edited:
I loved the New England cemeteries when I lived there. These are great shots and bring back good memories. There were a couple of great ones in Westport from Revolutionary War.
 
1) it looks like it was computer generated, especially due to the leaves, but the composition is strong

2) my favorite. not over processed and the contrast between the headstone and sky works very well.

3) I like contrasts between the headstone and the sky, but feel it works better the other way with the sky darker. It just looks underexposed

4) probably my least favorite. It portrays the least emotion out of the group and the brown bird aligns with the brown patch of grass behind it making it very hard to see. the lighting and angle makes it look like it is just a bird sitting on some random rock.
 
1) it looks like it was computer generated, especially due to the leaves, but the composition is strong

2) my favorite. not over processed and the contrast between the headstone and sky works very well.

3) I like contrasts between the headstone and the sky, but feel it works better the other way with the sky darker. It just looks underexposed

4) probably my least favorite. It portrays the least emotion out of the group and the brown bird aligns with the brown patch of grass behind it making it very hard to see. the lighting and angle makes it look like it is just a bird sitting on some random rock.

Thanks for the comments!

The first one gets a lot of comments along those lines, but there really isn't a whole lot of processing on it except some sharpening and then a soft focus action to tone down the grass a bit so the stone stands out more.

I will try to re-process the third by playing around a bit more with the channel mixer to get the right tone of the stone.

You can't really see the stone in the fourth, but this was the only time I've ever been able to capture a bird sitting in a cemetery and he's so cute and pudgy, lol. The little guy could barely fly!
 
I loved the New England cemeteries when I lived there. These are great shots and bring back good memories. There were a couple of great ones in Westport from Revolutionary War.

I'll have to check them out, thanks!
 
I like the 2nd the most as well, the soft focus is a tad overdown IMO

You mean it's too soft? I see what you're saying. I'll see what throwing a tad of sharpening on it will do.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom