Matt Tilghman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.matttilghman.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Mystic Swamp

The swamps of South Florida have a peculiar type of beauty. Most people see scenes in great photographs or documentaries, and find it paralyzingly beautiful. But then they come, and usually are quite disappointed. Take this scene, taken in Fakahatchee Strand, near Janes Memorial Scenic Drive. I found the area to be quite beautiful. But if you read reviews of this location online, there's negative review after negative review, claiming this road does not deserve the title "Scenic Drive." I had the park mostly to myself this day, but I did pass a few other cars. Or rather, they passed me... going as fast as the dirt road would let them, with a cloud of dust so think that they probably could not see out of their windows. I suspect they were driving as fast as possible, hoping to come across a wide open vista staring them in the face, as one may expect to do in Yellowstone or Yosemite. That's not how it works here. The scenes of beauty are hiding, waiting to be uncovered. And often, even when you stop and look, the beauty doesn't hit you right away. It takes time for it all, the peculiarity and uniqueness of the whole experience, to sink in.

Thanks for looking!

Lovely setting. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Likewise, they race through Skyline Drive (in the Blue Ridge part of the Appalachians) and never see any wildlife. I've never been through there without seeing deer, wild turkey, black bears, or some other critters.

What a great scene to take a shot of. It has got the feel of the television show called Swamp People, which by the way I love to watch even if it hard to pick up on all the words they are saying.
But I think this is a great shot and would think you have to be so happy with it.
Really nice job on this one.

Very nice! I really have to come and see it for myself one day.

I like it, the tree on the right is quite interesting. Any alligators?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back