Myth of split-grade printing

The real advantage of split-filter printing is when you burn and dodge between the two filters in which case the results are much better than single filter printing.

Joe

The real advantage of split-filter printing is when you burn and dodge between the two filters in which case the results are much better than single filter printing.

Joe

bell-1.gif

Ysarex said:

Joe

Subscribed. Awaiting lengthy, fiery rebuttal...

Joe
Agree, but technically it is not split filter printing.

Ysarex said:

Joe

Subscribed. Awaiting lengthy, fiery rebuttal...

But that's not what most users claim. They claim that splitting the exposure itself improves the results.

Which reminds me of the time a pro told me he didn't use Polycontrast filters (as he was buying Polycontrast paper) because 'my negatives are so good I don't need to use filters'.

Cough....cough...

Well, most VC papers without filter print at normal contrast, so it is possible, plus there is still some flexibility with developer. All depends on what is one doing.

Well, most VC papers without filter print at normal contrast, so it is possible, plus there is still some flexibility with developer. All depends on what is one doing.

Polycontrast without any filter gave about grade 1 1/2. The point is that the 'pro' didn't understand how the filters worked.

I think he did very well understand it. And he new, how to make negative for normal contrast. Especially, if he was a photographer for long time, from before we had VC papers.

I think he did very well understand it. And he new, how to make negative for normal contrast. Especially, if he was a photographer for long time, from before we had VC papers.

No, he didn't. I was there, and you were not. I used to work in photo retailing. Kodak recommended that a filter always be used because the paper was a little softer than #2 without a filter (#2 filter was to be used as a reference).

Later versions of Polycontrast paper had different characteristics, and version IV gave about a grade 2.5 unfiltered.

Last edited:
But I was there, when we even didn't hear about VC papers. We had to do with solid grades papers. Even then every brand had different idea, what normal contrast paper was. One of the good characteristics of photographer should be adaptiveness. Always.

But I was there, when we even didn't hear about VC papers. We had to do with solid grades papers. Even then every brand had different idea, what normal contrast paper was. One of the good characteristics of photographer should be adaptiveness. Always.

Well, Kodak was attempting to make the contrast of Polycontrast paper with a number #2 filter equal to that of Medalist or Kodabromide.

Most reactions

Back